What monster bird lays those eggs?!

Alagirl

Crowing
8 Years
Jun 19, 2015
Central Alabama
Sorry, no picture.
My mother-in-law has been given eggs by a friend that are HUMONGOUS!!
they are every bit of 4 inches long and have 2 to 3 yolks. those eggs do not fit into a regular egg carton. The lid won't close, and you can't put them side by side in. (she had a few other eggs to stagger them with)

Now, what breed is prone to that?
She doesn't know and wouldn't know to ask her friend, whom I don't know.

Sounds like a red sex link to me. They are bred to lay a ton of very large brown eggs, but are prone to reproduction issues early on in life. They were the first chickens I had and we got massive eggs from, quite often double yolkers. I would not recommend the breed unless you are okay with culling them from your flock after a couple years.

My first guess would be some kind of high production breed, or a bird that has something else going on (not necessarily harmful, either, just different, but something like this can also indicate a health issue).

I have one that laid large eggs on a somewhat regular basis when she was consistently laying, some with double yolks. This is unfortunate for her, because she is quite literally half the size of my other hens despite being the exact same breed and was laying eggs that were double the size of what my others would lay. She has some other stuff going on visibly as well, so I think maybe some things just got a bit mixed up for her, for lack of a better explanation.

This might be the case for this other bird, or it could be an indication of a larger problem. It is hard to.say without knowing more information.

What color was the egg?

Some birds lay multiple yolk eggs on occasion which isn't terrible except egg binding is more likely with those bigger eggs.

If the eggs are all the same color then a pullet or hen (depending on age) may have an oddity that causes multiple yolks to be released often. The bird would also be at risk to egg binding.

What color was the egg?

Some birds lay multiple yolk eggs on occasion which isn't terrible except egg binding is more likely with those bigger eggs.

If the eggs are all the same color then a pullet or hen (depending on age) may have an oddity that causes multiple yolks to be released often. The bird would also be at risk to egg binding.
the eggs are a creamy white color.
and judging by the number of those colossal eggs MIL has in her fridge, I wonder if there are more than one hen laying them.
Some of the eggs have a wavy shell.
Maybe I get to talk with the owner of the hen(s) someday.
If you didn't know, you'd figure goose or something similar.

Seems the solution to the riddle was easy:
the Church lady gets the eggs from somebody having an egg business, and the monster eggs are the ones they can't sell.

So the BYC experts had it right. :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom