1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What month?!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Mama Bird, Mar 30, 2007.

1. Mama Bird

Mama Bird Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2007
    hey Mama Bird here. Does anyone know what months hens go broody?

2. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

There's no specific month that hens go broody. Physiologically, a hen will lay a clutch of eggs and then want to sit on them. Penny's been broody since February. Obelisk was broody in July last year. When their hormones kick in and say,"GO BROODY", they will.

3. Rooster01

Rooster01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2007
    Southern WV
    Theirs no real set time but most of the hens I 've had go broody from April-October. I've seen a few try to go broody in the dead of winter.

4. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

I have a cochin with some pretty bad "baby fever". I've been trying to break it for months and finally gave up. She's in my house right now sitting on a clutch! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 30, 2007
  5. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Carri, what colour's your Cochin...Penny's pencilled like that only her colour's Buff with dark on her tail.

6. wolfpack62001

wolfpack62001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2007
    New Brockton, Alabama
    I gave my Buddy some Cochins last year and he has the same problem with them, when they go Broody just give up

7. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Quote:Tina is a bantam partridge cochin. The roo is a bantam black cochin so the chicks will probably be really cute! [​IMG]

8. Mama Bird

Mama Bird Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2007
    thanks, is there a specific hen that is know for good hormones for " go broody?" thanx mama bird:) thats a great pic of your chicken mama! i wish some of mine would be that broody all the time! [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 31, 2007
  9. mommyp

mommyp Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2007
    Vestal
    we have 2 bantam partridge cochins that have been trying to set for a month eggs or not . Im worried about them not eating . Should I be concerned?

10. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

mommyp...just make sure there is water and food close by....they will get up and get it when they are ready. I wish mine would go broody....but they wont.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by