What my vultures ate today

gritsar

Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!
14 Years
Nov 9, 2007
SW Arkansas
In their coop they have a 30 lb. feeder that I keep filled. I let them out at 9 AM this morning. They all came barreling out the door --
1. Stop long enough to peck at the tiny bit of styrofoam insulation that they can only see when the door is open.

2. Head straight to the back door to beg. They got 2 coffee cans full of scratch grains and wandered off for a bit.

3. See me head to the fig tree to look for any remaining figs. The vultures are stupid, but they know good things come from that tree. Gave them my last eight figs.

4. Beg at the back door again. Got four slices of bread. Wander off for a bit.

5. Come back to get their share of the scrambled eggs that I made for all the critters. Eat theirs, then go steal the dogs.

6. See me go to feed the goat his cup of grain. Follow me and steal it from the goat.

7. Beg at the back door again. Get another coffee can full of scratch grains.

8. Make owner feel sorry for them when she sees them trying to eat shelled pecans. Owner cracks a few handfuls open for them.

9. See me feed the dog. Go steal his supper.

10. Free-range all day in additon to this.

11. Walk back in their coop at 7, with crops so full they're parting the feathers on their chests.

12. Head straight to the feeder.
th.gif

LOL!

I got home today and saw that the Delightful Dozen have crops ready to burst. DH told me about all the treats he provided as well as letting them out early due to the heat!

I so understand! My/our hens are so overfed! They might explode!

LOL I hear ya! My folks always ask if I feed my chickens cuz they all act half starved when ever they see me... they throw themselves at the screen tryin to get in the house when they see I have food, and jump up and try to get the grain when I feed the horses, and haul butt across the yard when I feed the dogs... they free range all day, have feed out the whazzoo, eat all the grasshoppers they catch plus the ones I catch for 'em (hey, sometimes I have a slow day here and there,) most always a part of my meal (I've had one actually jump in my lap and take a toothpick outta my mouth... the poor thing looked so disappointed LOL!) Oh well, chickens are just pigs!

hehehehehe I have 32 relatives of your chickens gritsar.
gig.gif
Let me think what mine ate today...

5 gal feeder constantly has filled,

eggs and leftover steamed rice for breakfast

grilled ham and cheese sandwich from DH (stolen from him)

raid on the dog's food

raid on the cat food

Vanilla Ice Cream from DD ( stolen when she leaned down to straighten their feeder)

steamed broccoli and rice for dinner and were still pigging out in their feeder.

Yup, mine are related to yours for sure. DH went to bed still upset about his grilled ham and cheese. He sat his plate down on the picnic table and headed inside for his tea. It took all of about 15 seconds for one of them to flap up, grab it and toss it to the crowd.
D.gif

Last edited:
This is why I love having my chickens. And people say they're stupid. To me they know exactly what they want....and get it!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Oh man, we chicken people are such softies!!!!! But we had better watch our little voracious vultures. I've read that chunky chickens are more prone being egg-bound.

Back
Top Bottom