What myths you've heard of and debunked?

Eden83_haaretz

Songster
Jan 5, 2021
Mexico, Puebla
Just thought about this in the morning when I remembered what we went through when we adopted our chickens (they were our neighbor's).
Many people say that "once a chicken eats eggs they won't stop, not even if you burn their beak" (haven't actually seen anyone do this, and don't think they would, but I have have heard people have sacrificed those chickens and ate them).
Soon after we adopted the chickens and started to give them a more complete grain diet, one of them that had been eating the other's eggs, stopped. We realized because people are poor or ignorant they only give chickens corn, let them graze, but it's not always enough, and as soon as they were well fed the problem stopped.
What about you guys? What myths did you encounter that were true or false?

What a great idea!
I agree with you on the thought that if a chicken eats eggs they won't stop; this is untrue.
I was told that as soon as you get chickens, you will get rodents and predators. Truly they were all there already before I got chickens.
This next myth was a statement from an employee at a farm store that I don't return to, they just weren't educated enough: you will lose half your chicks/flocks to predators. Completely untrue, I have had chickens for almost 8 year now and haven't lost one to a predator and I free range.

That you can't get any eggs without a rooster. I had hens for 6 or 7 years before I got a roo,and several people looked around confusedly, saying, "Well, where's your rooster?" :he I had to explain that hens will lay with or without a rooster. :barnie
I’ve had to explain this so many times :gig I’m shocked at how many people believe this.

What a great idea!
I agree with you on the thought that if a chicken eats eggs they won't stop; this is untrue.
I was told that as soon as you get chickens, you will get rodents and predators. Truly they were all there already before I got chickens.
This next myth was a statement from an employee at a farm store that I don't return to, they just weren't educated enough: you will lose half your chicks/flocks to predators. Completely untrue, I have had chickens for almost 8 year now and haven't lost one to a predator and I free range.
Thanks for that info :) heh actually heard the same thing about the rodents and predators. Turns out my chickens kill rodents and even snakes :D, here in the North Sierra of the State of Puebla we have rattle snakes and it's reassuring and wonderful to see my chickens kill and eat them, bless my little girls.
And about the predators, we'll as long as we're around they've stopped coming, possums used to come (we placed lamps near where the chickens sleep, and that's deterred them from comming) and hawks are also scared of when we rush out, the chickens are basically in our back yard (they don't go too far) and when we hear them give the alert (a very specific sound) we just rush our and the hawks/eagles just fly away.
Thanks for the response :thumbsup

That you can't get any eggs without a rooster. I had hens for 6 or 7 years before I got a roo,and several people looked around confusedly, saying, "Well, where's your rooster?" :he I had to explain that hens will lay with or without a rooster. :barnie
On the other side of this, I have had to explain as to why eggs weren't hatching... the eggs weren't fertilized... no rooster.

Thanks for that info :) heh actually heard the same thing about the rodents and predators. Turns out my chickens kill rodents and even snakes :D, here in the North Sierra of the State of Puebla we have rattle snakes and it's reassuring and wonderful to see my chickens kill and eat them, bless my little girls.
And about the predators, we'll as long as we're around they've stopped coming, possums used to come (we placed lamps near where the chickens sleep, and that's deterred them from comming) and hawks are also scared of when we rush out, the chickens are basically in our back yard (they don't go too far) and when we hear them give the alert (a very specific sound) we just rush our and the hawks/eagles just fly away.
Thanks for the response :thumbsup
Do the rattlers strike them?

Back
Top Bottom