What Next? Eggs Hatching Anyday Under Hens

jasonm11

Songster
9 Years
Nov 18, 2010
tioga tx
I have two hens that started sitting on nests about teh same day, they have been very protective of the nests and have pulled a few eggs out now and then that were bad. My question is once they hatch can I leave them be. The hens are currently in a large shed with several inches of straw under them. I have heard that the poults should be on a flat surface once hatched, is this correct? If so can I leave a little straw in the shed for the nests and just remove the rest? I live in North TX and it is getting pretty warm during the day, i was thinking about just putting a few red lights in the shed and leaving them on all the time as the one door has a burlap curtain to keep the wind down but allow the hens to come and go. Does this sould like a good set up? I was thinking I would put up a little chicken wire fence across teh doorway to keep the poults in until they are a few weeks old. Any help would be appreciated.

If your gonna let the hen raise them, I wouldn't put the heat lamps in because if they fall in the hay, your gonna loose everything. I would block the momma and babbies in the shed for a couple of weeks until they get feathered good. You don't wan't to let her run them through the early morning dew and get them wet and chilled. She will keep them warm enough. Make sure you have turkey starter and water so the babies can get to it. Just pour a pile on the floor and she will show them.

Should I actually lock her in the shed? Or should I just put up a little chicken wire partition to keep the poults in? The shed is attached to a 8x24' covered run.

Back
Top Bottom