what not to feed chickens

A good rule of thumb is if you can eat it they can eat it. Some one is bound ti jump in here with another "tale" about some human food that's deadly for chickens or a reference to some list or other. In my experience, which covers quite a lot of time, they can eat anything we eat. When we clean out the refrigerator everything that goes out gets fed to the chickens. This has included many of the things that people here will tell you you must never feed.

I have 4 chickens, and they eat human food all the time. They refuse to eat their chicken feed/pellets. We've fed them just about eveything including:

spanish rice & beans
cake (with icing, of course!)
pasta with sauce (if it has no sauce, they get angry)
pancakes
vegetable soup
vanilla fudge
reese's peanut butter cups

They are all very happy and healthy. So don't be afraid of feeding them your leftovers.
smile.png

Quote:
thumbsup.gif
I don't follow mine around on their daily travels to make sure they only eat appropriate foods. They seem to know what's okay and what's not. Of course then we have Lilith who likes to dine on broken glass, but even she is fine.

DO NOT FEED YOUR CHICKENS CHOCOLATE OR ANY CITRIS NOT GOOD FOR THEM .SAME AS A DOG NO CITRIS AND CHOCOLATE IS LIKE A SLOW POISON AND SLOWLY DAMAGE ORGANS . BUT SOME WILL TELL YOU ALL FEW--EE ON THAT ,BUT THERE NOT MY BIRDS

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom