What not to feed chickens

I haven't really started feeding them to my chickens yet as I don't have enough. They do get the few that die and what not but its a very inexpensive way to give your chickens extra protein.

Nate

Every flock seems to have their own likes and dislikes. My flock of 43 hens love carrots but they all hate onions with a passion. It's fun to watch my free rooming chickens go after a mouse and then watch the cats get into the act, the hens will win each and every time!

No potatoes, I also read no avocados - these fall under 'nightshades' don't they?
Is it best to keep nightshades away from them (tomatoes...?)
Just curious, JolliMom (Becky)

Potatoes, tomatoes and peppers are in the sologinious family. The plants themselves are poisious. You can feed them tomatoe and pepper fruit. With potatoes, you can feed them if the skin hasn't turned green.

Someone on here posted that they give their chickens cabbage. In the list plants to not feed, cabbage is listed. Confused!!! Also are creeping jenny, creeping charlie and bindweed all the same??

i also have a meal worm farm that I started in October I have thousands of meal worms now and yes they do need a lot of care bc they are cannibals so I keep all of the life stages seperate I also have bred some crickets and I have a BSF bin in my backyard that is very successful so far. I did a lot of research to help me feed my chickens cheaper and with more insects in their diet plus the bugs will give them a nice and natural diet and stimulation although they also love their grain too

What about tomato hornworms? I find them sometimes eating my tomato plants and there is nothing I like more then watching those green buggers get dismembered. Are they safe?

Every morning I let my chickens out to free range and they make a beeline to the dogs food bowl to finish off any dog food that might be in there. Will it hurt them to eat a little dry dog food?

Back
Top Bottom