What NOT to feed my little garbage disposals...

Picky Chicky

Songster
11 Years
Sep 22, 2008
Holly Grove, VA
big_smile.png

SAVE MY (future) CHICKENS!!

Instead of asking if certain items are OK to give my chickens, I thought it might easier to see the DON'T List...

When I get chickens, what scraps, fruits, veggies, whatever should I avoid giving them?

Thanks!!

This is good info! As for the peas and beans is that both cooked and raw, or just raw?

I would have had no idea on this stuff... as for the no feeding the chicken...er chicken, it seems that would be for cannabolistic reasons only or does that hurt them?
sickbyc.gif

The reason I was wondering this is because I saw an elderly fellow at the trade days throw a broken egg in with the chickens - they went nuts for it!
hu.gif

I second Buff's Treat List. I even printed a copy for my kitchen.

Dangerouschicken - Why do you say that chicken shouldn't be fed to them? I believe I've seen others says that it's OK. I would think cooked (maybe not fried) chicken would be OK, as scraps...

I know you arent supposed to....but my girls LOVE chicken.
Mad chicken disease? right?

we dont feed potatoe skins (raw) not good

but pretty much anything we eat, they eat.

Well, mad cow disease showed us that if you feed an animal that same animal, or even when humans ate humans (i.e. studies done by cannibalistic tribes in Papau New Guinea), you get horrible neurological breakdowns over the generations of offspring.

I would not recommend feeding chicken to chickens.

As for the beans and peas, it is only the raw version that is bad for them. Cooked is fine.

I understand but let see if I can get DH to stop tossing bones to the girls. People come in out back yard and think somethingS have been killed back there. At one time they had a whole turkey carcas they had picked clean. Everyone thought it was funny in a creepy way till one of the chickens tried to crawl inside it.
And BBQ ribs.....they eat those all the time. I think today I walked aroudn the yard and filled a bucket with the bones left from the rib scraps they got.

Quote:
pop.gif
The one crawling into the turkey carcas sounds like fun times. I know I'm going to love raising chickens!

On a side note, we do eat a lot of chicken/rice casserole..

Back
Top Bottom