What now? (Question for Chicken-eattin' folk)

SQContrary

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 31, 2010
Oklahoma County
A bobcat got one of our chickens this morning... we caught it in the act. My husband fired and missed and the bobcat dropped "Monkey" and escaped. So...

Should I clean her and cook her up? She is not mangled. I have never done it before but my husband suggested we do it for a 'science project' today. Or maybe for Home Ec.
big_smile.png
Any reason not to?

Thoughts? Suggestions? Wisdom? Advice?

Thanks!!
Shari

I would. Trauma killed it, not disease or something unknown. It's too bad it died before it was supposed to, but why waste it? I would wash it very well though.

Thanks! This is my first try cleaning a chicken.... so far so messy. I wasn't expecting hairs in there with the feathers! Maybe they are tiny feathers... the chickens are only 3 months old and this one was one of the smaller ones. It may not be worth the trouble but I figure "waste not, want not" and "practice makes perfect" etc.

Thanks again!

I wouldn't worry to much as long as you wash it well. I lost count of how many birds that died of trauma (me shooting them) only to be retrieved in the mouth of my dog and we are all still alive after eating them all.

I am sorry for your loss. Be careful the bobcat will probably be back.

Those hairs are pin feathers. DH taught me to burn them off. I use a small torch for making creme brule, but you could use a lighter or candle or anything else that has a flame. If you miss a few, it won't hurt anything.
wink.png
Don't worry about a mess the first time or it taking a long time. With practice, you'll get your routine down.

Personally, I would not eat a chicken that has been bitten by a predator, but that's just me. If I did, I'd cut away the meat that had been in contact with the meat. Enjoy your meal and your science project! Good for you for taking advantage of the learning experience.

Back
Top Bottom