1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what of chicken is she?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by narwhal master, Sep 22, 2013.

1. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    what of chicken is Olie Olie? I thought she was a BSL but I think I am wrong.

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    She is not a Black Sex-link, as those birds are black with gold on their neck. In fact, she doesn't really look like any breed that I know of--she's probably some sort of mix, or a Canadian breed that I, as a United States resident, don't know much about. She's a pretty bird! [​IMG]

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    She's not a Black Sex-Link. I think that she is a mix.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    She looks like a mixed breed hen to me.

5. weird but I got her from a supplier

6. she sort of looks like one of the chickens in BantamLover21's avatar

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Kind of, but not really. The birds in my avatar are Light-Brown Dutch Bantams, which, as their name suggests, are a bantam breed originating in the Netherlands. They are relatively rare in countries other than Europe, though there are a few breeders in the United States. Your hen does not share some of the distinguishing characteristics of a Dutch Bantam: slate legs, white earlobes, a partridge/black breasted red color pattern, and reddish bay eyes.

It is odd that a supplier would have been selling mixed breed chickens. It could be that your hen is a Canadian breed that, as a person in the United States, I and others don't know much about.

8. okay

9. i just realized that she might be a partridge Plymouth rock

10. annageckos

annageckos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    SE PA / NJ
    She is not partridge color. She looks like a mix to me too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by