What on earth...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cbrown86, Mar 7, 2012.

1. cbrown86

cbrown86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2011
    Missouri
    I got 3 new chicks a few days ago. One of them pecks everything. She will NOT stop pecking at the waterer. It is so weird. I've never seen a chick do it.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    It's just their way of exploring their world. Give them more things to explore -- including the outdoors, as soon as you dare, for short periods at first. Mama hens take their chicks out to forage, scratch and peck, at 2 or 3 days old.

3. featheredroots

featheredroots Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2011
    Madisonville, KY
    Is she seeing her reflection in it? My silly girls are constantly pecking at their reflections in the glass waterer, and the sides of the plastic brooder.

4. cbrown86

Mar 7, 2011
    Missouri
    The waterer is a foggy plastic. And the only place she pecks, is the label, where there is a tiny drawing of a chicken.

5. cbrown86

Mar 7, 2011
    Missouri
    I haven't taken them outside yet, because the other day it was sleeting and the ground is all soggy. I do let them roam in the living room sometimes.

6. felidaet

felidaet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Vancouver, Wa.
    You might try putting a piece of sod in the brooder. I have not done this before but many people on here have said they do it and the chicks love it. I am going to try it this year. I would make sure they have chick grit available first though so that they can digest any plant material of bugs they find in the sod.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by