What paint is okay outdoors?

Jun 9, 2021
Colorado
Hello everybody.
I am currently redoing my run and I have a few questions.
what do I use to attach the rafters to the posts? can I just drill them in?
I am also planning on painting the coop and run all one color. I found a whole bunch of colors I like from Benjamin Moore, but would I have to seal it after or could I just do a few layers of paint? I am looking for a deep green color. TIA

I like using a jeg system that you can buy but depending on the wood you are using you can just drill it and screw them together. For my coop i have siding on the top and for the bottom i used a indoor and outdoor paint then did a weather coated sealant. But i still have to redo the ramp again.

what do I use to attach the rafters to the posts?
1664817268341.png

These would be easiest.
I am also planning on painting the coop and run all one color. I found a whole bunch of colors I like from Benjamin Moore, but would I have to seal it after or could I just do a few layers of paint?
I'm sure BM can advise on that.

Paint will be labeled "exterior" - if it's good enough to paint a house with, will be fine for your coop, without a need to add a sealer. Many paint varieties claim to have primer built in, but I apply a coat of cheap Kilz first anyway. You'll use less of the expensive "good" paint if your first coat is Kilz primer.

On attaching rafters, pics would help, but sounds like you could either toenail the screws in or use hurricane ties.

Design of the structure would determine how I would attach the materials. In general, the posts would need a header board spanning between them, which the rafters sit on top of and attach to; not really rafters directly to posts. I notched out all my vertical posts to support my headers instead of relying on fasteners/hardware.

Exterior paint is what you want, but you don't have to. I went with pressure treated lumber and cedar, so no paint on the visible parts for me.

OK. My run is 10 feet long and I am going to have two support posts other than the corner posts. So in total on one side it will have four posts if you include the corner posts. Then everyone tells me to do 16 inches apart on the rafters but I am not planning on putting roofing so what I still need to do that or can I match the rafters up with the posts?

Back
Top Bottom