What Pheasant Species should I Consider...?

maynben

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 7, 2014
Hi ya'all,

I live in Boise, Idaho, and if you've never visited, I highly recommend it. I have an urban farm in my backyard along with some chickens. I am thinking of building an outdoor aviary and would like to raise ornamental pheasants, maybe a couple quail and who knows what else. I have a space plotted out that's about 8'x16'. I have been raising birds my whole life but have very limited experience with wild fowl. I am interested in hearing from anyone willing to give me a little direction in choosing the right species of pheasants to keep. I am simply interested in keeping these birds for the joy of the fact. I am looking for birds that will acclimate well to urban living, tame well and not be too flighty and will do well in a mixed aviary. I've considered Amherst, Golden and Tragopan. There's not much I can find on keeping these specific species of pheasants.

If you are not interested in breeding,you can house all males together as long as there are no hens around.I wouldn't recommend no more then 4 birds to a 8x16 and give a few different perching areas in case they don't want to be near each other.
In N.H.,Tony.

I would go with goldens if you're looking for a tamer and calmer bird. They're also widely available and pretty cheap so you wouldn't have alot of trouble finding birds. Plus they are very colorful so if that's something that is a major factor they're a good choice.

Back
Top Bottom