What plants and kitchen scraps are poisonous to chickens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by kimoore, Jun 1, 2010.

1. kimoore

kimoore New Egg

Jun 1, 2010
    I have 4 chickens. Dont know much about them since i grew up on my parents cattle ranch. I get that they need calcium, a lot of it, and protien. But their pen is kinda ugly and I wanted to plant some ivy or some sort of vining plant to make it look better and make more shade for the chickies until the trees get bigger. I also cook a lot and no longer have horses, what kitchen scraps should i give them and which should i avoid? Thanks So Much! KIMOORE

2. chickfamilyonsleepyhollow

chickfamilyonsleepyhollow Chillin' With My Peeps

3. Keara

Keara Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2009
    Vermont
    oh my that list is even longer than the one for plants poisonous to horses! It makes me wonder how chickens ever survived! I hope pansy flowers are not on the list cuz my BCM chicks are fighting over one right now.

4. kimoore

kimoore New Egg

Jun 1, 2010
    Thanks, i will check out those lists!

5. hatfield

hatfield New Egg

May 1, 2010
    I stopped mowing my lawn and the chickens love to graze on dandelion greens and fluff, buttercup greens, dock, grasses and their seeds, comfrey. Ive planted them a stand of comfrey and when they are penned I cut stalks of comfrey and dock to keep them occupied

6. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    I find this list of poisonous plants from the government of Canada to be useful. (click)

Incidents of poisonings and livestock effected are, at least, cited. The effects are also given.

You can also click "Important WWW Poisonous Plants sites" on that webpage for other toxic plant sites, for the most part, associated with land-grant universities.

Steve

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by