1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what position do we put the quail eggs when incubating?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by JUROBBINS, Sep 25, 2009.

1. JUROBBINS

JUROBBINS Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2008
    very southern illinois
    on side and turn or narrow end down and spin around or narrow end down and flip to broad end then back to narrow??? can't seem to find a page with enough info.
    thanks ya'll!

2. Emilys3guppies

Emilys3guppies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2009
    Toronto
    The same as chicken eggs. Either on their sides, or in a carton with the pointy end down.

3. Emilys3guppies

Emilys3guppies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2009
    Toronto
    Also, when you turn your eggs, you don't turn from end to end as this could cause the chick to strangle on it's chalaza. You want to rotate them gently from one side to the other, not from top to bottom. Again, don't flip them from broad end to narrow or your chicks could be harmed.

Go check out the board about Incubating and Hatching. The same rules for chickens apply to quail too, with a few exceptions:

*they hatch in 14 days (button quail), 18 days (coturnix) or 23 days (bobwhite), instead of the 21 days for chickens.
    *they like the humidity slightly higher. I keep mine, for coturnix, at 40-50% for the first 14 days and then raise it to 70% for the last 4 days.

Otherwise it's all the same...same rules for turning the eggs, same rules for lockdown, same rules for temperature.

4. JUROBBINS

JUROBBINS Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2008
    very southern illinois
    thank you!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by