What possesses those mares sometimes?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Camelot Farms, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

DD had taken the gelding for a walk leaving the mare in the paddock. She was having a total temper tantrum that she got left behind so I walked to the fence and was getting ready to drop a flake of hay in for her. She came running up to the fence so rather than drop it, I thought I would hold it and let her eat it from my hand so I could pet her.

Just as the little pissant gets to me, she makes a fast 90 degree turn and kicks both hind feet into my face. Thank the lord, I was far enough back that all I got was a face full of mud that came flying off when she kicked out. And I do mean a face full! Completely covered the lenses of my sunglasses, down my shirt, in my hair. I screamed of course cause that mud stung like *h.e. you know* what when it hit me. So, I know she didnt miss my jaw by much.

I just wanted to ship her to the nearest glue factory or dog food processor at that point.

Then she proceded to scream at me the whole time the gelding was out. He of course just totally ignored her. She stormed up and down the paddock, hootin' and hollerin', kicking up her legs and acting like a total snit. I would have lunged her just for spite if it wasnt so muddy from all the stinkin' rain yesterday. Brat!

PS...Thank you God for allowing me to be in the right place at the right time to avoid 1200lbs of horse hoof in the face. The mud was nasty but I can live with it.

2. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    whoa....that temper tantrum would be her last. Time to show that one who is boss. I really do not like most mares because of their attitudes but that jealous streak and tantrum pitching needs to be dealt with pronto...what if it had been your Daughter who was NOT out of the way. Do not play with this wench...get on her.

3. davidb

davidb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2008
    north east Georgia
    mares are very unpredictable, once a month they get very irritable, have mood swings, hot flashes. I asked the vet once about it, cant remember what he called it , But the first letters in the three words were, pms [​IMG]

4. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Come on guys, not all mares are like that. I have never owned a gelding in my life, since I prefer mares. A little training is all that is needed for this mare.

5. Haviris

Haviris Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2007
    If this was my house the situation would be reversed, it's the gelding that has a fit that his girls (one or both) are leaving (my mare and my nephews molly mule). My mare will run the fence if he's taken away, but if I'm willing to spend time w/ her when he's gone she'll be eating it up. So it's not a "mare" thing.

6. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

And that's how we ended up with 4 horses!...If you have 2 and ride one...one is left. If you have three and the two of you go out riding...one is left; BUT--if you have 4 and go out riding...then all is good! Well, except your checkbook! Terri O in WI

7. hollyclyff

hollyclyff Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    NC
    I have a gelding and a mare and it doesn't matter which one goes out, the one left behind has a tantrum. I always put the one left behind in a stall so they can't get too crazy. Otherwise they'd probably run themselves to death. Even when we had three and I took one out, the two left behind would still freak out.

8. bantamamba

bantamamba Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2010
    Whenever I take my mare out alone the gelding goes bonkers. Not so much running around as letting the entire neighborhood know of his disdain with his far-carrying girly shrieks. [​IMG] The other mares will call as well, but not to the extent of this guy. My horse however has yet to pitch a fit when separated.

So no, I wouldn't call it strictly a "mare thing". More like being herd-bound...and there are ways you can remedy this. I haven't read the entire article but it seems to have some good suggestions - http://www.horsethink.com/1208 Herdbound Part II.htm

9. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Our gelding has always had tantrums like that. He never gets dangerous though, he just cries and cries and cries. He'll be eating and stop every now and then to cry some more. Our one mare is perfectly fine when alone and so is the other gelding. The baby is a bit buddy sour, but she's still a baby so I'm hoping with some more work she'll grow out of it. Sonny (The whiney gelding) has always been bottom of the totem pole, and I think that has a lot to do with it. It's almost like he's insecure by himself. The horses we have that are more dominant are usually fine by themselves and I'm guessing it has a lot to do with levels of confidence.

10. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    Quote:I have several mares and all are very laid back and easy going, even when in heat. The key is basic ground rules from day one. The ones that have been raised here understand what is acceptable behavior and what is not. The ones that were not raised here have gotten some quick lessons on how to act. I can take any one of my horses away from everyone else and they all are the same. Horses that are acting up when their buddy leaves are Buddy Sour......this is as bad or worse than Barn Sour horses.
    Horses that act like this can be dangerous, because their adreneline takes over and their brain stops.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by