what predator ( I suspect raccoon)

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by priszilla, Jun 6, 2008.

1. priszilla

priszilla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    easley sc
    I had 2 young birds out in a guinea pig cage on the ground .One had a leg problem and the other had earlier had been ill and had been a bit stunted so I kept these two together for company. I had moved them to the fromt yard inside the chainlink fence for safety since my mom's dog is visiting and I was concerned whe would mess with them. This morning the cage door was open and I found a few feathers and blood, door was open. It happened in the dark of the night. I plan to set our live trap tonight- what do you suggest for bait? First time we have had a problem like this- want to get rid of it QUICK.
  2. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    If any kind of a latch had to be opened, I would suspect a raccoon. Tuna or sardines would make good bait.
  3. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

4. lknight

lknight Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2008
    Western Washington
    Marshmellows!!! That is what I used to catch one at my house.
  5. pixiechick

pixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Jonesborough, TN
    I've read that slightly cooked bacon (to enhance the aroma) will lure racoons. It sound like you've got either a racoon or an escaped carnival monkey hanging around. Keep the trap set for a few days.
  6. RavenStorm

RavenStorm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Southern CA
    Quote:Ok my brain must really be tired from studying for finals, because when I saw "Marshmellows!!!", I thought you were suggesting that a puffy little white candy had been the predator of those chicks!
  7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If you don't want to trap a cat or a dog, sweets will do the trick. Place the trap along walls and edges where they would normally walk.
  8. priszilla

priszilla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    easley sc
    trap is set-wth tuna-in the same spot the critter ate chicks.It is inside our chainlink fence so I'm not worried about catching a dog.Thanks-now if we catch a monkey.......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by