What predator leaves a pile of feathers?

LegbarMama

Songster
Mar 17, 2021
My chickens free range during the day. I usually only let my grown chickens out without supervision but I have some young pullets that I have been letting free range so I could get all the chickens uses to each other. I will go in and out to check on them, so I thought everything would be fine. Well I cam outside to find a pile of feathers and just a few tiny bones and the beak of my favorite chicken. 😔 this was during the day. Anyone have an idea of what could have got her? I know we have raccoons and hawks, but I don't think that's what it was.

Attachments

• 20230424_161939.jpg
    20230424_161939.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 225
  • 20230424_161654.jpg
    20230424_161654.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 58
My guess would be a cat. Not big enough to kill and carry away, so ate it right there. A dog would likely have carried it off somewhere to eat.
Dang it. All our neighbors have cats. There is no way to keep them out of our yard. This is the first time this has happened in 4 years

My chickens free range during the day. I usually only let my grown chickens out without supervision but I have some young pullets that I have been letting free range so I could get all the chickens uses to each other. I will go in and out to check on them, so I thought everything would be fine. Well I cam outside to find a pile of feathers and just a few tiny bones and the beak of my favorite chicken. 😔 this was during the day. Anyone have an idea of what could have got her? I know we have raccoons and hawks, but I don't think that's what it was.
It could have Been a fox. In my experience with foxes they never take the birds far. And they almost always leave a pile of feathers.

Will a racoon attack during the day? I have never seen coyotes or foxes in the area but I'm sure they're around. I will just have to wait till the girls are bigger to let them free range. My rooster hasn't accepted them into the flock yet, but I'm wondering why I didn't hear the chickens making any noise.

Will a racoon attack during the day? I have never seen coyotes or foxes in the area but I'm sure they're around. I will just have to wait till the girls are bigger to let them free range. My rooster hasn't accepted them into the flock yet, but I'm wondering why I didn't hear the chickens making any noise.
Mine have all been at night. But I wouldn't be too surprised if they cane during the day, especially if they're not finding enough food.

Back
Top Bottom