What predator would do this?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Lizzie2, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Lizzie2

Lizzie2 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2012
    Chappell Hill, Texas
    I got home late from work, just past dusk, and went to close up the hen house. I knew something was wrong when Lacey was not on her perch. I got a flashlight and there were feathers everywhere. One hen is missing and the other was lying there with her breast eaten away. I am so mad......my oldest hen was hiding in her nest box. Two turkeys roost in the tree above the chicken coop and are ok. I have set a trap hoping this beast will come back. Any ideas what it might be?

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I have seen that with a coyote (the feathers everywhere part).

But hopefully someone has more ideas.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  3. Lizzie2

Mar 8, 2012
    Chappell Hill, Texas
    Thanks for the reply. I have goat fencing around my house, veggie garden etc to keep the wild dogs and coyotes out. Would they dig under??

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

You might look for a dug spot. Yes I have had some kind of dog dig under my fence before and I assume coyote.

Raccoons can just climb a fence. They are always suspect but I don't know if they leave an explosion of feathers or not.

I LOVE my automatic coop door opener/closers that I just recently bought. I should have bought them years ago.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  5. Lizzie2

Mar 8, 2012
    Chappell Hill, Texas
    thanks again! i will look into the automatic door.

6. BrendaJ

BrendaJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    Oregon
    It depends on the type of predators you have in your area. When a dog got 1 of my hens there was only a couple feathers on the ground - no blood just about 10 feathers left.
    Look for holes under fence but more likely coon, weasel or something like that. They can be messy. Hope you are able to locate & stop the little mystery guest.

7. Lizzie2

Mar 8, 2012
    Chappell Hill, Texas
    Thanks for the info. I am in the country in Texas. We have raccoons, opossums, coyotes, small fox, owls, hawks and bobcats. I set a trap last night but did not catch anything.

8. 20736

20736 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2012
    First, sorry for the loss from your flock.
    Scattered feathers to me always mean the chicken was shaken by the predator, and usually a canine. All the loose feathers don't fall off immediately, so there may be a trail of feathers leaving your coop area.
    I am thinking canine from the way you describe the evidence left on the scene.
    This time of year, the long nights mean predators are ranging farther at night.
    Good luck with a positive resolution to your situation there.

9. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I agree with the other posts - I had a coyote leave similar results to one of my ducks and one of my chickens. Hope you can ID and deal with him! Best of luck!

10. Lizzie2

Mar 8, 2012
    Chappell Hill, Texas
    Thanks for the replies. I am pleased to say I found one of the hens hiding in the tractor barn today. So glad she is ok. Now I have baited my trap and am sitting here waiting for a critter to come looking. I'll let you know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by