What predators can roosters actually kill/fend off?

I had a hawk try to go after one of my hens not to long ago . It had her pinned in a corner, but my bruiser of a rooster, who happens to be a jersey giant, came flying out of nowhere and gave it a ninja chicken kick to the face
smack.gif
. Sent the hawk reeling, and though i still see the hawk occasionally its only at a distance. Luckily, the everyone was unharmed.

The lady I bought my Delaware and Wyandotts from had a big Delaware Rooster with half beak missing toe missing and limped, so I asked what happened, she told me he fought a fox and won. He was touch and go for two days but he pulled through so she said he earned his keep till he pass away. But chickens are like people I guess, some are warriors some are wimps.

depends on the aggressiveness of the rooster. most of them will attack most animals till they die. most rooster wont kill a fox or coon but they will cause serious damage until the rooster is killed.

I have a good number of roosters and had them for many years under a range of conditions. Roosters in my experience will not attack something that presents a serious risk. They will attack something smaller or from behind when odds strongly in roosters behavior. Mine are mostly games so they may be a bit cowardly or simply smart. Even my hens with chicks will not take a fox once they know what is up; they will rather fly and loose entire brood.

Grew up with Hundreds of chickens (long time ago)range chickens.Can't say I ever saw them fend off predators .Had a few get my number though.But if your talking night (on roost) lets just say there (sitting ducks).All /most pred.have night vision .Chicken in dark is blind.They don't see it comeing tell it's too late..cva34

depends on the predator and the rooster. A pred that has recently eaten won't be looking for a fight so can be backed off with a good strong bluff.

A hungry Mama coon with a litter of babies won't bck down.

My Hens, circled, and then chased a nieghborhood cat, back to his house..

Owner of the cat, was very impressed...
As he watched them all, cirlce around him like a hearding dog, and push cat back!

my boyfriends rooster a few years back actually blinded a cat, and a year or so later he killed a fox that killed one of his girls. They said they found the fox in the field with its face mauled beyond recognition and the rooster's spurs were bloody. Down side is everyone was afraid of the roo, even my boyfriends dad would refuse to go in the coop when the rooster was in there.

Good Question! Our alpha rooster (Golden Comet) defended the hens against my sister-in-laws lab/hound mix. She accidentally let the dog in the chicken free range area and all hell broke loose. The rooster lost a lot of feathers but is fine. I enjoy having a rooster in the flock to watch over the girls.

Back
Top Bottom