What pretty border plants can I plant over the HC apron?

K0k0shka

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
Jul 24, 2019
Boston Area, MA
My Coop
My Coop
I have a 1/2" HC apron along the ground all around my run and coop, extending out about a foot and a half. Naturally, there's nothing living along the ground inside the run, but the outside edge of it, where the apron is, has some interesting weeds that have managed to grow through it. I like having greenery there and want to plant something deliberate next year. What would you guys recommend? Obviously I can't plant seedlings or started plants because I can't dig there, and I can't prepare the soil either, so it has to be something that grows easily from seed and doesn't mind crappy conditions. The area gets morning sun, but is in shade for most of the day. Bonus points if it can flower! Any ideas? I was thinking impatiens but they are tricky to grow from seed... forget-me-nots may not like that I can't loosen the soil... The soil isn't compacted, because nobody walks right along the edge, it just can't specifically be loosened or amended because of the HC.

Here's a picture of my setup. I want to plant along the long side of the run, where all the green stuff currently is. Whatever that broad-leafed plant is in the corner, I know it's perennial and forms thick tubers that it comes back from, so it can stay, because I like how it looks. I want a border of something else between it and the coop.
1631851888527.png

You have a beautiful coop, (seen on some of your posts), I know you like to make things beautiful as possible,,. Here are my thoughts/suggestions.
During winter freeze you get the natural earth/soil heave. That means the soil naturally gets somewhat softer on top layer. Plant a section of Zinnias,, and another section of Dill. The dill is eatable by you or the chickens. Zinnias are quite prolific growers from seeds. I container plant a couple pots, and keep on my patio,, every summer. Cosmos are also good easy growers.
All you need is to make small openings in ground, like with a nail, and drop seeds. Another option, and maybe better,,,,,,,,, sow seeds, and cover over with 1/2 inch of potting/topsoil.
Zinnias, and Cosmos, and Dill are readily available, and at very reasonable prices. I think I purchased my packets at Menards home-center for 59 cents. If you opt for brand name ones like Burpee, and similar,,,,,, price is somewhat higher.

Fertilize, and water regularly,, and you will have great looking flower patch.

Just an additional note. My chickens free-range, and do walk among my flowers. They do not eat the flowers mentioned. They will snack on dill occasionally. They absolutely luv munching on my sorrel. They would eat it all,,,, and none for me,:idunno, if I did not protect the containers with wire netting.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

I have a 1/2" HC apron along the ground all around my run and coop, extending out about a foot and a half. Naturally, there's nothing living along the ground inside the run, but the outside edge of it, where the apron is, has some interesting weeds that have managed to grow through it. I like having greenery there and want to plant something deliberate next year. What would you guys recommend? Obviously I can't plant seedlings or started plants because I can't dig there, and I can't prepare the soil either, so it has to be something that grows easily from seed and doesn't mind crappy conditions. The area gets morning sun, but is in shade for most of the day. Bonus points if it can flower! Any ideas? I was thinking impatiens but they are tricky to grow from seed... forget-me-nots may not like that I can't loosen the soil... The soil isn't compacted, because nobody walks right along the edge, it just can't specifically be loosened or amended because of the HC.

Here's a picture of my setup. I want to plant along the long side of the run, where all the green stuff currently is. Whatever that broad-leafed plant is in the corner, I know it's perennial and forms thick tubers that it comes back from, so it can stay, because I like how it looks. I want a border of something else between it and the coop.
View attachment 2835953

You do NOT want to leave the pokeweed in the corner! It's poisonous. (Been battling the stuff for decades on various properties). Beautiful, but toxic and impossible to control since the berries spread seed vigorously.

How about nasturtiums?

You have a beautiful coop, (seen on some of your posts), I know you like to make things beautiful as possible,,. Here are my thoughts/suggestions.
During winter freeze you get the natural earth/soil heave. That means the soil naturally gets somewhat softer on top layer. Plant a section of Zinnias,, and another section of Dill. The dill is eatable by you or the chickens. Zinnias are quite prolific growers from seeds. I container plant a couple pots, and keep on my patio,, every summer. Cosmos are also good easy growers.
All you need is to make small openings in ground, like with a nail, and drop seeds. Another option, and maybe better,,,,,,,,, sow seeds, and cover over with 1/2 inch of potting/topsoil.
Zinnias, and Cosmos, and Dill are readily available, and at very reasonable prices. I think I purchased my packets at Menards home-center for 59 cents. If you opt for brand name ones like Burpee, and similar,,,,,, price is somewhat higher.

Fertilize, and water regularly,, and you will have great looking flower patch.

Just an additional note. My chickens free-range, and do walk among my flowers. They do not eat the flowers mentioned. They will snack on dill occasionally. They absolutely luv munching on my sorrel. They would eat it all,,,, and none for me,:idunno, if I did not protect the containers with wire netting.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:
Thank you! Zinnias and cosmos would be great, but they like sun... Would they bloom in the shade? I have dill and zinnias elsewhere on my property and the zinnias are 5 feet tall in full sun, they'll probably stretch even taller in the shade (if they bloom at all). Though I could probably try a dwarf variety. Do you think dwarf zinnias would bloom only with morning sun?

You do NOT want to leave the pokeweed in the corner! It's poisonous. (Been battling the stuff for decades on various properties). Beautiful, but toxic and impossible to control since the berries spread seed vigorously.
Whoa... That is good to know, thanks! I had no idea that thing was so poisonous. My kids know better than to eat random things from bushes, but they do play with the berries and "cook" them in their backyard play kitchen. I see that it's toxic on contact, too... yikes! I've been trying to get rid of it all over my property, too, including digging all the tubers out, I just left this one in the corner of the run because it's not bothering anybody there. Maybe if we all agree not to touch it, this particular one can stay (and I'll cut the berry clusters off with gloves on before they ripen), and I'll keep trying to get rid of it everywhere else.

How about nasturtiums?
Ooh, that cute edible flower! I didn't know what it was called. I'll try it, thanks!

Whatever that broad-leafed plant is in the corner, I know it's perennial and forms thick tubers that it comes back from, so it can stay, because I like how it looks.
As @3KillerBs mentioned, you do not want pokeweed to grow there. Wild birds will eat the berries (they're not toxic to birds), and poop out the seeds, spreading the plant. The tuber is nigh onto impossible to kill; I tried to get rid of it in the front bed at work.

If you cut it off at the ground whenever you see it sprout up, you might starve the root to death.

Do you think dwarf zinnias would bloom only with morning sun?
Cant really say yes, or no. on the dwarf zinnias. It would be a trial and see. Seems everything likes sun, some more than other. Impatiens do like sun also,,,,,,, but are able to grow and bloom in less than Ideal sunlight. I container grow most of my flowers. The impatiens are in full sun,,, and grow very well. Those in shady spots grow almost equivalent. They do need much watering,,, and will tell you when they are dry.. Consider placing containers of flowers in that area. Advantage with containers,,,,,,,, you can rotate them into more sunny spots for short duration.
I have 2 types of Nasturtiums. All parts of nasturtiums are eatable. My chickens walk past them daily when I let them free-range. They never showed any interest in snacking on them. My nasturtiums are in full sun. Not sure how they would do in shade. The leaves are pretty even if few blooms would develop.

Now to pokeweed. I had some growing in remote spots of my yard. I just cut them at the base, and threw them into trash. Eventually they were convinced to stop growing. I did not dig up the tubers. Have not seen pokeweed in over 5 years now by me.
It is not the apocalypse weed that some may make it sound. Certain peeps use it medicinally, and others eat the fresh young shoots, and leaves in early spring. It has to be cooked a certain way, and I'm sure they know how.
I have no desire to eat it or use as medicine.
There is a song about it. called Polk Salad Annie.

I have planted Black Eyed Susans in between the little HC squares. I used a little poker to dig out thru the HC, to make a bit of a bigger hole underneath & just stuck a tiny little bit of leaf with root & believe it or not - it's growing. Stuff grows like a weed once established. It grows in shade too, not as well, but it does. Just an idea if you have any anywhere.

Back
Top Bottom