What prompted this behavior?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by duckinnut, Dec 8, 2011.

1. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    I got a 20 month old BR that all of a sudden decided to start sleeping in the nest box she lays in. Out of the past 6 nights 3 times I had to pull her out and put her on the roost. For the life of me,cant figure what started this behavior. Dont think shes broody,she is laying, eating, drinking and appears to be normal physically and went through molt. Not sure if she just wants alone time but there is more than enough space on the roost for everyone. [​IMG] Has anyone seen this type of behavior?[​IMG]

2. beach livin'

beach livin' Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2011
    Manteo
    i have a girl that does that too. dont know why though [​IMG]

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Is she being bullied when she tries to roost with the rest of the birds?

4. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    I have a couple of hens that sleep in the nesting boxes. They are the bottom of the pecking order. I just leave them be. But that is just me.

5. goldies99

goldies99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    is she on the bottom of the pecking order??....i have one chicken....(she is the only one NOT laying)...and she wants to sleep in
    a next box because they all pick on her....so every night i chase her out and put her on the roost...they all sleep fine after "lights out"!!!!!!!

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  6. real_redhead

real_redhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Roanoke, VA
    I have one that sleeps in the nesting box too....although she doesn't poop in there. She was the only one who molted recently and when she started the other started picking on her and they wouldn't let her on the roost! Now that she has most of her feathers back she is sometimes sleeping on the roost. Don't know if that helps at all.

7. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    She is not low in the order,she is in the middle to top of the pecking order. She holds her own during the day. Three times she has been in there but not in a row, tonight I pulled her out but the past 2 she was up on the roost. I thinking that my Roo who sleeps on the coop floor from time to time is right beneath the box she wants to sleep in, maybe she is his main squeeze. Tomorrow night I think I will hang around down by the coop come sunset and get lowdown on the situation. Will post my findings. Thanks all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by