What protection do Guineas need in the cold

Hentherapist

In the Brooder
Mar 1, 2017
First off I live in in Texas so the 20s are cold, I don't know what we'd do if it got in the single digits. Anyway my 7 guineas are 7 months old, their coop is a chain link dog kennel, under a metal roof about 3 feet above a tarp stretched right over it so they can't fly out. One side touches the garage, the other sides are open. Next couple nights will be in the 20s, do they need a heat lamp? Or tarps on the chain link to break the wind? They free range all day, just confined at night. Oh, these are my first guineas.

They will be fine. When we first moved here, we got guineas for tick control and weren't able to prevent them from roosting in trees. They did so year round, snow, ice, wind, rain, and they did this for years.
I wouldn't allow it again, but that's what we did. How do you get yours to go in coop? Treats?

I would certainly recommend putting up tarps to block wind. They don't need a heat lamp unless it gets below 0, and even them most people don't do it and the guineas turn out fine.
Also, I recommend giving them each a handful of scratch or cracked corn in the evenings before they roost. This is stored in there crops and digesting it at night helps provide the body with warmth.
Hope this was helpful, and, just out of curiosity, what is your male/female ratio with your birds?

First off I live in in Texas so the 20s are cold, I don't know what we'd do if it got in the single digits. Anyway my 7 guineas are 7 months old, their coop is a chain link dog kennel, under a metal roof about 3 feet above a tarp stretched right over it so they can't fly out. One side touches the garage, the other sides are open. Next couple nights will be in the 20s, do they need a heat lamp? Or tarps on the chain link to break the wind? They free range all day, just confined at night. Oh, these are my first guineas.
I live in Wyoming where it can get really cold. So far this year my low temp has been -17°F. My guineas get their regular food (20% protein layer feed) and water available 24 hours a day. The only extra they get is whatever they can forage for themselves. At this time of year their main forage item are the russian olives that have fallen on the ground.

They have a coop which protects them from the wind, rain, snowfall and predators. I do not provide them with any supplemental heat even when it gets down to -30°F. My guineas do fine throughout the winter.

Provide them with protection from the wind and predators. Keep food and fresh water readily available. Provide them with desirable roosts and they should be fine.

They will be fine. When we first moved here, we got guineas for tick control and weren't able to prevent them from roosting in trees. They did so year round, snow, ice, wind, rain, and they did this for years.
I wouldn't allow it again, but that's what we did. How do you get yours to go in coop? Treats?
I trained them with millet. I yell Goonies, and shake a cup with millet and in they go.

I would certainly recommend putting up tarps to block wind. They don't need a heat lamp unless it gets below 0, and even them most people don't do it and the guineas turn out fine.
Also, I recommend giving them each a handful of scratch or cracked corn in the evenings before they roost. This is stored in there crops and digesting it at night helps provide the body with warmth.
Hope this was helpful, and, just out of curiosity, what is your male/female ratio with your birds?
We have 3 girls and 4 boys.

Decisions, decisions @Hentherapist

Well, last winter, I would have said they do fine in cold weather, but don't like trekking in the snow. This winter I will say, they still don't like trekking in the snow and they do fine in SUB-ZERO temperatures, with WIND CHILL ADVISORIES into the NEGATIVE 20's for consecutive weeks - even if they decide to ROOST OUTSIDE in a tree for TWO nights!!!!

Yes, I had one do that this year.... I thought for sure she would be dead by the second morning. No food or water for about 48 hours in severe EXTREME cold weather conditions. She would not come down no matter how hard I tried, but fortunately, she finally huddled on top of the wire roof of the run and I was able to get a ladder and detach the roof. The weight of her caused the roof to sag, making a hole for her to fly through and into the coop. Big relief!

I would say they become acclimated to whatever weather they have. If I had transplanted one of your guineas from Texas and left it to roost in a tree for two nights in sub-zero temps, I don't know if it would have survived. If I transplanted one of mine to Texas this summer in your heat, it would probably be stressed. Mine start to show signs of heat stress at about 75 degrees and above, while guineas raised in warmer weather do just fine into the 90's.

So in summary, I worry less about the temperatures than I did last year and everyone, usually, is cooped up at night in a draft free structure, safe from predators. I am finding that they eat more food and I have to change out water more often in two of the coops without electricity. In the extreme cold, I do use warm (not hot) water and add some Nutri Drench just as a little energy boost and I provide some dried meal worms, just a sprinkle on top of their feed.

I know what you mean - last year it was my first time with guineas and I worried about EVERYTHING. Also, I do have an enclosed oil radiator heater and may put that on once in a while in my small barn - more to keep it from feeling damp than anything else. Plus it's a bigger area and their body heat doesn't seem to keep it as warm as my smaller coops. I have thermometers all over the place, inside, outside... I don't think they really need the extra heat; I guess it's my peace of mind.

So, your guineas may not need the extra heat, but if it gives you peace of mind and you decide to add a heat source, I'd recommend something like an enclosed oil radiator heater or infrared bulb just for safety. Fires can happen quickly and a safer source of heat is best. I wouldn't overdo on the heat, again they tend to acclimate to the weather, and keeping them extra warm can cause more problems than allowing them to acclimate. But if it's going to be a big drop and will shock their bodies a bit, throwing on a little heat can't hurt.

Keep warm and good luck! Looking forward to hearing from you again soon. Happy New Year!

Back
Top Bottom