What protection do Guineas need in the cold

Oh gosh! Love your avatar. Just realized your chicken has little swimmy things on its wings. Water therapy?
We had a lot of rain in May, we thought it was a lot then Harvey came to visit, and my SIL said my chickens would need floaties because of the rain. So I bought some at the dollar store and took the picture, tried with a barred rock too but she was not having it.

I tried to get them to eat cracked corn, nope. So just gave them more of their regular millet treat. So far they only eat, from me, their regular food and millet, occasionally chopped up grapes. No dried meal worms, no bread, no fruit, are they just super picky or is this normal?

We had a lot of rain in May, we thought it was a lot then Harvey came to visit, and my SIL said my chickens would need floaties because of the rain. So I bought some at the dollar store and took the picture, tried with a barred rock too but she was not having it.

Very cute and she's a good sport. I could see one of my Rhode Island Reds going for it, but not all of them. Amazing how they have their own personalities.

I tried to get them to eat cracked corn, nope. So just gave them more of their regular millet treat. So far they only eat, from me, their regular food and millet, occasionally chopped up grapes. No dried meal worms, no bread, no fruit, are they just super picky or is this normal?

You'll find it's all over the board. People will post how their guineas LOVE certain food items and I'll try it with mine and they refuse to eat it.

Maybe you could try a higher protein seed block if you're looking for something else and they seem to like millet? There's millet in that, but other things with a higher protein content.

Usually, they don't need any treats, but treats are good to have on hand for training and to boost calories and protein if needed.

Not sure about soy nuts... that might be another option to try if you're looking for something a bit higher in protein. Just a thought.

Keep warm and safe!

Well, last winter, I would have said they do fine in cold weather, but don't like trekking in the snow. This winter I will say, they still don't like trekking in the snow and they do fine in SUB-ZERO temperatures, with WIND CHILL ADVISORIES into the NEGATIVE 20's for consecutive weeks - even if they decide to ROOST OUTSIDE in a tree for TWO nights!!!!

I'm in North Georgia and my guineas have 100 degree summer and this winter already we had -17. They have 2 houses, one is a chicken style coop and the other is a 3 sided wind block shed thing. -17 they slept on top of the chicken coop house out in the open. If that was my chickens they would be frost bit. Amazing funny little birds.

I'm in North Georgia and my guineas have 100 degree summer and this winter already we had -17. They have 2 houses, one is a chicken style coop and the other is a 3 sided wind block shed thing. -17 they slept on top of the chicken coop house out in the open. If that was my chickens they would be frost bit. Amazing funny little birds.

They are amazing! Very different from chickens. Interesting though, most people say the guineas rule their flock. My Rhode Island Reds rule mine, once in a while they will submit to the English Orpington Rooster. What about your flock @Reiki Rooster?

Glad you chimed in here. One of the members used to have a flock in Iowa and moved to Florida. At some point she'll start her flock back up again and will probably look for input from peeps with flocks in warm weather areas.

Beautiful rooster in your avatar photo and I'm guessing you practice Reiki as well....

I would certainly recommend putting up tarps to block wind. They don't need a heat lamp unless it gets below 0, and even them most people don't do it and the guineas turn out fine.
Also, I recommend giving them each a handful of scratch or cracked corn in the evenings before they roost. This is stored in there crops and digesting it at night helps provide the body with warmth.
Hope this was helpful, and, just out of curiosity, what is your male/female ratio with your birds?
I might be crazy but I have always kept mine in the coop at night with my chickens. Everyone was trained with scratch to come in at dark then I just close the gate. Granted when I get new chicks and keets this year and comes time to add them to the flock the big babies will pout when it's time to keep everyone in for 2 weeks so the young ones can learn.

That is great that they will eat fermented feed. Mine won't touch it. I wish they would as I find I have a lot of waste with them picking through the pellets and crumble to find just the right size they are looking for! :he

Back
Top Bottom