what roo to keep?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by AHappychick, Jan 11, 2009.

1. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    If you had several different breeds but could only keep one rooster what would it be? What would be the best type to be breed with the mixed flock? Obviously I would have a few of the pullets be the same breed so that I could get pure bred birds as well as mixed ones. Is this a dumb question??? I cant figure out what i want my roo to be, I have an ee roo now but I wont keep him around forever. I weas thinking a Rooster that carried the blue egg gene (not sure if myy EE does since he is mixed) would that mean any of its offspring could infact lay blue eggs if it got that gene passed down?

2. kmom246

kmom246 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2008
    Nevada
    Both of my EE roos are being culled tonight - as they got older, they got meaner and meaner and were rough on the girls. Both of my Maran roosters are mellow and gentle on the girls. I have EEs, Marans and SLW. I didn't get any roos out of the SLWs. Anyway, IMHO, I'd cull for temperment and then health and then egg color last. Good luck!

3. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Partridge Cochin roo! He is so sweet! He takes care of the girls, very gentle and he has never even thought about coming after one of us (people). He calls the girls when he finds something to eat and he has the best crow! My other roo is a pain in the booty! [​IMG]

4. Hattie the Hen

Hattie the Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

HI THERE! BLUE LACED ANDALUSIAN FOR SURE!!!!! My absolute favourites!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by