What`s wrong with him?

birdfreak1831

Songster
6 Years
Apr 6, 2013
Since I cannot find the thread I started some time ago about my soon to graduate to full roosterhood cockerel [assuming this happens at 12 months of age], I am starting another one. Because I cannot resist sharing an update on my little Phoenix who is a truly dangerous and terrifying attack bird - ruffled feathers, dagger beak, stink eye, shuffle dance, silly knobby protrusions he claims are spurs....
About two months ago Phoenix flew onto my shoulder, yelling, for a moment because he didn`t like me picking up a hen.
This audacious move on his part, I was solemnly assured, was a sign of Phoenix`s beginning aggression towards me, the human who is supposed to be his boss and dominator. Egads! We are having a role reversal, init? At least according to several forum members who responded to my inquiry post.
As if defying his predicted behavior, Phoenix has not escalated his aggressive behavior towards me. He doesn`t as much as peck me unless taking treats out of my hands [and he gives most of those to the hens].
But I have learned from reading much here, including about roosters, that it is supposed to be almost guaranteed that Phoenix will turn into an attack monster eventually, likely when I least expect it.
The infamous Jeckyl-Hyde [sp?] syndrome, I guess.
Maybe Phoenix is just a skillful actor, faking his extroverted but sweet and kind nature and personality.
Will the REAL Phoenix please reveal himself?!
Since his flying onto my shoulder stunt, I now handle one of the hens daily, a disabled one who needs extra care, with Phoenix right by my side watching intently. He still dislikes me touching her but neither objects nor interferes. He gets it, he understands.
Yes, I was told he does NOT understand that I am no thread to the hens.
I beg to differ. So do my neighbor friends who have kept chickens for many years.

I regard ALL creatures, including chickens, as sentient, [self]conscious, spiritual beings who are way more perceptive than many, if not most, human people in western dominator cultures give them credit for.
To civilized folks, chickens as well as other non-human beings exist ONLY to serve, obey and benefit humans.
To me and other culturally INcorrect dissenters, chickens and other non-humans give so much more than eggs and their bodies. They graciously share their beauty along with all they were created to be. They can be wonderful friends and companions when recognized as such. And in non-western indigenous cultures they are also acknowledged as "spirit helpers".

Okay, okay, no harm no foul. The in my opinion partially ill advised feedback I got here was well intended. You tried but I am incorrigible in my views, same as many of you.
I`ll be good now and lumber back into my lair....er...to reading and finding the gems of info which are sprinkled throughout this website and forum.

birdfreak

I have a few roosters. A couple are three years old and they are just like they were when they were young. Gentle, sweet and good with the girls. There are some roosters that go bad, but I think it is more rare than people assume.

Roosters are great!
smile.png

Young roosters are hormonal, sometimes they make bad choices when young. They don't all turn into monsters. I have more than a dozen nice roosters. Once they are mature, which I consider their second breeding season, their personality is set and they are a bit more level headed. I think your rooster will remain respectful.

Didn't read your other thread, but like most Internet forums, there are those that give good advice and those that think they are giving good advice, but really aren't. Everyone's flocks are different.

Glad you and your Phoenix have come to an understanding.

Back
Top Bottom