What sex are these african geese??????

Im afraid you'll have to wait a little while longer for them to develop. There are no differences in the feather but males usually appear larger and develop a larger and more masculine head. Also their behaviour may give you an indication.

You can vent sex but its not easy the first few times and best to have someone experienced to show you. They make lovely geese to have about the place and do grow large and are 'classified' as one of the heavier breeds of geese.

Ours are big and a little taller than the Dewlap Toulouse but do not weigh as much as the Dewlaps which have a more massive body. Here's a picture of our pair of Buff Africans with the Gander on the right. He's a year and the female 3 years. I expect he'll develop and grow a little large in his 2nd year. I've also posted a picture of the pair with a female gosling bred this year which gives you an idea of the size your has yet to grow to. Hope this helps answer your questions.

Best of luck and enjoy them
wink.png

80310_buff-pair-a.jpg

PAIR OF BUFF AFRICANS WITH MALE ON THE RIGHT.

80310_buff-trio-b.jpg

MATED PAIR OF BUFF AFRICANS WITH GOSLING.

I would venture to say you have 2 males and 2 females (based on your last photo)
-They do appear to be crossbreds
-I have only seen Metzers refer to them as SUPER Africans. We did get some from them, but sold them the next spring. They were LARGE, but had a 100% different look than our current Brown Africans and I did not want to cross the lines.
-50 lbs. is way HEAVY, but some people/judges seem to always pick the larger the better when it comes to geese. I have seen American Buffs (medium goose) be as large as a Embden and it be the champion goose and I sometimes wonder how that could be because it is not anything like the standard calls for

all in all they are very nice geese and I think she has 2 pair.

I'm the one with the single goose in the picture I think on page 2. This baby did come from Metzer's and is called a Super African. I didn't purchase the goose from Metzer's but the previous owner did. The guy wasn't able to keep the Super African or the American Buff and that's how I got them. I know the American Buff is a female but the guy got the Super African as straight run. They are 2 months old on the 20th. Can you still vent sex them at this age? I've done it on day old ducks but never geese let a lone a bird this big. Here is a picture of the goose.

45848_8-10-2011.jpg

45848_8-15-2011bd_2.jpg

45848_8-10-2011_2.jpg

This is the American Buff and is female.

I haven't thought of names for them yet. I'm going with Buffy for the American Buff and Dewie for the Super African. What else can one do?........ lol. These pictures were taken 8 days ago and they have changed a bit already.

Quote:
Do you have pictures? I would love to see a goose that size. It must be awesome. I have a 1 1/2 month old Super African but I don't really know how big he/she will get. I don't know the sex to name it yet either.

i don't know how to post pics (haha i'de probably end up posting the whole camera on and there r hundreds of pics on it)

Quote:
Do you have pictures? I would love to see a goose that size. It must be awesome. I have a 1 1/2 month old Super African but I don't really know how big he/she will get. I don't know the sex to name it yet either.

i don't know how to post pics (haha i'de probably end up posting the whole camera on and there r hundreds of pics on it)

You go to UPLOADS on the toolbar. Then click BROWSE. You then find a file on your computer where the picture you want to upload is. Click on that, open and then submit. Wait a bit and the picture will then be loaded. You have to do this for each picture. You can only upload one at a time. If you have high speed I'm sure it won't take to long but I have dial up and it does take a while.

To get the picture on a post you copy where it says IMAGE (the information in the box) and then you go to your post and paste the image. It won't come out as a picture until you preview or submit the post. I would preview the post first to make sure you have the right picture or pictures. It's really not to hard.

Way back on page 1, the original photos, those are not Chinese. Chinese are more slender than that. Chinese is a very elegant breed.

Unfortunately, other than vent sexing, the only way to tell the gender of some breeds of geese is to wait and see which one lays the eggs.

There are a couple of breeds that are auto-sexing by color. The Chinese and Africans, the males should have a larger knob when they are full grown.

Adult males tend to be higher headed and hissier, but that isn't 100%.

I suppose I will have to wait then. I would think at 2 months they are too old to vent sex. I know in ducks you want to do it when they day olds. I have to say they are sooooo soft. They are a silky soft. A bit different then my sebbies. I do hope his aggression towards the other birds lightens up. He is still chasing everyone away and bitting at there tail feathers. Can't be a good sign.

Depending on how badly you want to know you could spend $20. per bird and have them DNA sexed by Zoogen or Avian Biotech (google them). One small spot of blood is all they need. The far cheaper way is to have someone skilled at vent sexing show you how to do it a few times.

Dr. Todd :

Depending on how badly you want to know you could spend $20. per bird and have them DNA sexed by Zoogen or Avian Biotech (google them). One small spot of blood is all they need. The far cheaper way is to have someone skilled at vent sexing show you how to do it a few times.

I'll wait. No sense in stressing out the bird vent sexing it. I know how to do it on newly hatched ducklings and chicks but I've never done a goose. As for the DNA, I'd rather save that money for feed. I'm sure since the goose will develop a nob I'll be able to tell that was as well. So far at 2 months no sign of a nob. Definitely big personality though...... lol.

Miss Lydia, you asked about the pen. I took pictures yesterday. It's nothing fancy but it works and it's safe.

45848_8-19-2011d.jpg

45848_8-19-2011d_1.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
There are nor Africans nor Chinas I raise both...
Here is my Brown Chinese male..
china.jpg

And here are my Africans (Excuse the Nene who thinks she is an African LOL)
003.jpg

Back
Top Bottom