What sex are these jumbo coturnix quail?

nevada chickens

Chirping
7 Years
Feb 15, 2013
Nevada

I hatched these quail about 2 weeks ago. There are 3 of them. I was wondering if it was possible to tell if they are male or female yet. Thanks in advance.

I'll be curious to know too. From what I've read you cannot sex a quail until they become of age, at which time males will crow and have foamy poop. I think that's around 6 weeks. Now that I think of it, though, nothing says at what point the chest gets spotted (female) or a solid-like brown color (male).

Pharaohs and goldens autosex by feather pattern the rest you have to watch for sex specific behavior. Vent sexing is as good as useless for a beginner because if a hen has been bred by a roo that day she'll produce foam from her vent too.

Those are most likely hens but you'll have to wait a few more days for those feathers in the center of the chest to fill in. 2.5-3 weeks you can tell for sure.

Looks female to me! Mine are almost three weeks old and have the same spots. I hope they're not all female out of 11 chicks as I'm hoping to make breeding sets out of them and another line of quail. I'm going to give it another week before I draw conclusions. Your quail, however, looks quite categorically female!

Back
Top Bottom