What should domonique combs look like

Flame80

Songster
Jul 1, 2020
Deep East Texas Sabine County
My 3 domoniques are 16 weeks old today and are not laying yet. With my 6 white leghorns it was easy to watch their combs grow and turned BRIGHT red when they were ready to start laying. The domoniques show very little comb in comparison. What should the comb look like as they approach laying age?? Should they use the same laying boxes as the white leghorns? Are they going to fight each other over the 3 nests? How much longer before they should start laying?

My 3 domoniques are 16 weeks old today and are not laying yet. With my 6 white leghorns it was easy to watch their combs grow and turned BRIGHT red when they were ready to start laying. The domoniques show very little comb in comparison. What should the comb look like as they approach laying age?? Should they use the same laying boxes as the white leghorns? Are they going to fight each other over the 3 nests? How much longer before they should start laying?
Can you post pics?
My girls, around 30 weeks now, are great examples of well bred Doms.
BD24DDF1-B6AA-4152-BD63-570EA6F5E66E.jpeg
300E6F41-006F-44CF-98F5-3639C81F9C36.jpeg
B87A4132-83FA-4746-B809-4C9B6EB3063E.jpeg
55A881CD-4D5D-4C66-A063-33A5F1A4FCBA.jpeg

Pepper, the one with a spiked comb and lighter pattern, has an overinflated ego. Salt has a slow crop and an aggression problem when on the nest, but otherwise is super soft and sweet.
Pepper is a little higher quality, closer to show standards, but she needs taking down a peg or fifteen. She‘s a little bit of a bully to some.

They shouldn't be laying at 16 weeks. Six months is pretty typical, so 24 weeks. I've had some production breeds start at 22 weeks. But my English Orpingtons often don't start until they are well past the six month mark. If you're in the Northern hemisphere, as we go into winter, young pullets may not lay at all until Spring, or only sporadically due to the shortened daylight hours.

They shouldn't be laying at 16 weeks. Six months is pretty typical, so 24 weeks. I've had some production breeds start at 22 weeks. But my English Orpingtons often don't start until they are well past the six month mark. If you're in the Northern hemisphere, as we go into winter, young pullets may not lay at all until Spring, or only sporadically due to the shortened daylight hours.
Agreed. 16 is much too early.

Back
Top Bottom