What should I cover my run with?

lexapurple

In the Brooder
11 Years
Feb 8, 2008
HI,
I am building a new coop and a run. We live near the woods with foxes, racoons and cats we also have hawks and owls. I would like to be able to lock my chickens in the run, so they could go in and out of the coop when they want.
Should I use metal chicken wire on top of the run or plastic chicken mesh would be sufficient? I know that foxes and coons can climb, but I don't know if they would climb on top of the run and chew thru the plastic mesh. What do you think?
Thank you

We live adjacent to the woods too DO NOT cover your run with chicken wire its useless. Its so light weight they will just pull on it to make a hole. We covered ours with regular fencing wire. its 1x2 inch nothing can get in form the top. we also buried our fence around the run so nothing could dig in.

Quote:
Raccoons will.

Of course it depends a bit on whether your chickens will be locked safely into their house when things start to get dark, or whether you're planning on leaving their coop door open all night... while raccoons will sometimes come around during daylight especially if there are a lot of them around, they are *mostly* nocturnal.

Pat

Last edited:
Our 5 x 12 foot run is covered on all sides & top with hardware cloth. I recommend it.

(A hidden benefit from a hardware cloth stiff ceiling to a run, is that you can put stuff on top of it when you're fussing with the coop. Like a pan of fresh water, treats, empty dishes, etc.)

I used hardware cloth; same as on the sides of the run. Then on top I put a tarp for shade and weather protection. I just use tiny bungee cords to hold it down.

Thank you all, for advise!

Of course it depends a bit on whether your chickens will be locked safely into their house when things start to get dark, or whether you're planning on leaving their coop door open all night...

I don't mind locking them, inside their house, but I wanted to be able to go out of town and not worry, if my pet sitter forgets to lock them up.​

I hear you - that's an issue for me to, because our animal sitter, while WONDERFUL, is too expensive to have out 2x/day just to put chickens to bed
wink.png
If that is the case, and your coop is too small to just lock the girls in the whole time you're away, then IMHO it probably would be well worth putting a proper, strong wire mesh (not chickenwire) roof on the pen (with same stuff or smaller mesh for walls, too, again, not chickenwire).

Good luck,

Pat

Back
Top Bottom