What should I do about broody hens sitting on eggs right after I wormed them?

JoyePhoto

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 21, 2014
Not sure if this is the proper category to post, but I have a few questions about my broody hens.

I wormed my flock with wazine 11 days ago. In those 11 days, two of my hens went broody. The Buff Orpington is rather confused, she moves from nest to nest to sit on different eggs, or moves to a nest with no eggs. In time, will she snap out of this behavior on her own? I don't really want her to hatch any eggs.

On the other hand, my 6 month old Silkie has gone broody and is being super faithful to her one little egg. I really wouldn't mind if she hatched it, because I would like to see what the chick would be like...if the egg is even fertile (but I've seen my easter egger roo with her) BUT, the wormer would still be in her egg. Would it be bad to let her continue to sit on the egg even though it hasn't been the full 14 day withdrawal time?

Thanks in advance :)

Rebecca

Last edited:
Thought I'd update for fun. The chick hatched completely normal. It's now 2 weeks old and thriving. No affect from the wazine.

The Buff Orpington hen also hatched a chick. I just moved her so she wouldn't be disturbed. Turns out she wasn't unfaithful to her egg...she was just getting booted off it by the others. Anyway, happy day :)

Yes, it's a major mutt chick..haha! Half silkie, quarter rhode island red and a quarter Ameraucana. I can't wait to see what it turns out like! But it is a super cute chick.

Yes, it's a major mutt chick..haha! Half silkie, quarter rhode island red and a quarter Ameraucana. I can't wait to see what it turns out like! But it is a super cute chick.

Well, if it's part Ameraucana, you could call it an Easter Egger...
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom