What should I do??(Broody duck)

KikiDeAnime

Spooky
6 Years
Dec 29, 2017
Battle Ground, WA
I waited 3 days but I can finally confirm that our Blue Indian runner duck has decided to go broody. She's sitting on a few eggs in the duck nest.
I know that there's a possibly she won't fully incubate the eggs until hatch day. I sort of wanted to let her do her thing and sit on them but it seems cruel to any ducklings that either become half or fully developed before our duck quits on them.
We don't have an incubator since the really good ones costs so much and nobody nearby are willing to let us borrow one.

What should I do?
Should I let her sit or kick her out?

I'd give her a chance - she might surprise you. Just be sure to mark the eggs she is incubating and remove all others daily so that she doesn't end up sitting on too many or end up with a very staggered hatch. :fl

I'd give her a chance - she might surprise you. Just be sure to mark the eggs she is incubating and remove all others daily so that she doesn't end up sitting on too many or end up with a very staggered hatch. :fl
Luckily I have a customer who buy our duck eggs every 2 weeks. Plus I already marked the ones she can have.

So it looks like I was possibly off about something. I decided to candle the eggs since she'd been sitting on them since Tuesday. Looks like she'd been sitting on them longer than that. I'm guessing they'll hatch between 4/22 & 4/26 as I'm going off of how they looked when I candled them

Back
Top Bottom