what should I do for my roo?

silkiemother

Crowing
Sep 14, 2018
east wenatchee
okay so here is the problem, it is supposed to hit 12 degrees tonight and my tiny rooster has no one else to be with and we don't have a way to heat his coop yet. and it looks like he is getting a bit of frost bite already , what should I do for him?keep him in the house for the rest of the time till the cold snap goes away ? he is already in the house
A) keep him in the house
B) keep him outside
C) wait to see how things work out

As long as you have a good place to keep him in the house where he won't make a mess I'd say keep him inside. Otherwise make sure he has plenty of nice dry bedding in his coop.

If he is already in the house he may already be to accustom to the heat. With gradual temperature drops they can usually prepare themselves.
That said with the weather I just had I put a trash can heater in my coop. Got to 0° in there but everyone survived.

I just wrote an article on the trash can heater with no electricity.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ut-electricity-my-diy-trash-can-heater.74722/

okay here is our current set up: a big wooden box filled with shaving and a lid covering it,food and water put in with him, and a heat lamp in garage. will this do till the 7-22 degree weather is over? plus no one else will put up with him other than me so he doesn't have any chicken friends, should I get him some?

okay here is our current set up: a big wooden box filled with shaving and a lid covering it,food and water put in with him, and a heat lamp in garage. will this do till the 7-22 degree weather is over? plus no one else will put up with him other than me so he doesn't have any chicken friends, should I get him some?
Yes, you should get him some chicken friends. Pullets or hens ;)

Back
Top Bottom