What should I do for scaly leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rooster 2011, Aug 6, 2016.

1. rooster 2011

rooster 2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2016
    Louisiana
    I have a silkie rooster trying to get scaly leg his legs are scaly and I wanted to do something about it before it got worse and I was gonna buy the scaly leg protector but I can't find it anywhere I can't even find it on amazon does anyone know any remedies you can do to get rid of scaly leg Any help appreciated thx

2. Braxton Brigade

Braxton Brigade Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2015
    Braxton, Ms
    Nu-Stock or gas a vaseline treatments. The gas and vaseline treatment cured my birds in 4 days, can;t get better than that. You just have to be careful with the gas (obviously lol). Not that you're all that new but [​IMG] anyways lol.

3. Eggsitter

Eggsitter Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2012
    southern maine
    What was best & safest for us was to fill a plastic bin w warm water and if you have eposom salt add it. The water level should be high enough to cover the whole leg and reach the bottom of the chicken. Put affected birds in it (avoid overcrowding) and cover w a screen. They'll protest at first but the water soothes the itching & they'll stand for a while in it. Watch them so they don't drown but leave them in as long as possible.
    Repeat this as necessary. After soaking use a toothbrush w coconut oil to scrub the scales reaching under the scales.
    Hope this helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by