What should I do?! I thought this egg was dead but its not.

DingusDuck

In the Brooder
Sep 6, 2023
So this egg came from one of the ducks who kept leaving the nest near the end of hatching, it was also rainy and the egg was cold, brought it in and we saw for 2 days it was clearly alive. Even though it smelled rotten and was in a nest were many other eggs went messing and shells next to the nest. Today we checked and it had no movement. Also this egg is very late to hatching, or do we thought, we thought it was supposed to hatching last week. So we started trying to figure out what went wrong, we peeled away the shell, then poked the membrane. Well finally it moves and it bled a bit.

Is there a way to save them?
He is still moving.

Attachments

• 20240525_225630.jpg
    20240525_225630.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 63
The membrane seems to be drying up a bit, the duck is still moving, not sure what to do

I am really, REALLY new to all of this but through my extensive hours of research I’m led to believe you keep this guy in the incubator and gently moisten the visible membrane using a sterile cotton pad and either sterile water or coconut oil. You have to do this regularly to stop the membrane drying out.

I’m hoping a more experienced person can perhaps confirm what I am saying before you give it a go!

Everything crossed for you 🤞🏼

I am really, REALLY new to all of this but through my extensive hours of research I’m led to believe you keep this guy in the incubator and gently moisten the visible membrane using a sterile cotton pad and either sterile water or coconut oil. You have to do this regularly to stop the membrane drying out.

I’m hoping a more experienced person can perhaps confirm what I am saying before you give it a go!

Thank you!
They are still moving, we don't have sterile water, do we need to boil it or will it be fine. It's not like dirty, it's just well water and has minerals and stuff.

I agree with this. You can also use Vaseline if you don’t have coconut oil. If it’s actively bleeding, you can use cornstarch to stop the bleeding.

Humidity 77 is high enough

I agree with this. You can also use Vaseline if you don’t have coconut oil. If it’s actively bleeding, you can use cornstarch to stop the bleeding.

Humidity 77 is high enough
Thank you! It doesn't seem to be bleeding. But is does seem to be drying a bit. Still alive though. Also I tried a bit of the water but it seemed to kinda pool, I drained it.

My biggest concerns right now are it getting infected or not being able to get through the membrane.

Back
Top Bottom