What should I do if the power goes out?!?

AmeraucanaHank

Blessed be the Name of God
Sep 12, 2021
Colorado
My Coop
My Coop
hi,
I have just picked up 12 very healthy chicks from the post office. And I just looked at the weather forecast for tonight, and it is going to be severe thunderstorms!!! What should I do if the power does go out tonight?!?

Your water heater will contain a good deal of hot water even after a power outage. Fill up some water bottles with hot water from the tap and set those in the brooder. Change out the bottles as needed.

Additionally, you might want to crank up the temperature on your water heater ahead of time just in case.

Also, blankets around the brooder to add insulation. Just make sure you aren't cutting off airflow.

They will cuddle together to help keep each other warm. Does you often lose power in storms?
Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest that cuddling is a substitute for a long-term outage, but it will help short-term while you make other arrangements. Is your stove gas or electric?

Hmm. I don't know. I guess it depends somewhat on the ambient temps. I was hoping you had a gas stove, or maybe a propane camp stove. Then you could heat water in an emergency and make them a warm water bottle to snuggle up to, or for 18 chicks, you might need two. With so many chicks, if it gets really cold, some of the weaker ones could get trampled. Just hoping your power doesn't go out!

Be real careful with that heat lamp in any case. Anchor it with something besides the clamp, and be sure the chicks have an area that is not directly under it so they don't overheat. Also make sure it has a ceramic housing, where the bulb plugs in, and not plastic, as a protection from overheating to prevent fires. We usually get two lamps and put a red heat bulb in one for night so the chicks can sleep.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Something else came to mind and I wanted to get some other opinions on this - you know those glove warmer packs that you shake/snap/whatever and a chemical reaction keeps it hot for several hours? What about a couple of those in a sock tossed into the brooder? Not perfect by any means, but if you can get some of those long lasting ones, that might be enough to keep your chicks alive until the power comes back.

Back
Top Bottom