What should i do now that my quail has hatched?

Philipalexander

Hatching
Apr 17, 2022
Happy easter from Norway! This is my first time incubating quail eggs, or eggs in general. My girlfriend and I bought some quail eggs for our puppy to eat as it is extremely nutritious. Me though, a very curious 19 year old, had to see if I could bring some of these eggs to life. So I made a small incubator and put it on a heat mat. I could only monitor the temperature as I only have a thermometer. I flipped the eggs 3 times a day for 16 days as instructed, and also put some moist paper hoping that I was at about 40% humidity. Today, day 21 of incubation, I woke up to a little one peeping out of the shell screaming for assistance after pipping for a day or so. When I looked closely I could see that the chick was shrink wrapped:( The heat mat had turned off in the middle of the night, and the temperature was at a shocking 20 degrees C (68 F). Luckily, I managed to restart the heat mat, but I felt like I had to do some more to help it out. I gathered my tools and got to work, after opening the egg a bit, it looked like it was ready to the last part by itself, and it did. Now my little experiment is running around in the incubator chirping, and I have no clue about what to do from this point. So here comes my questions:)

I haven’t bought any chickfeed yet, and I can’t do it until Tuesday since all the stores are closed because of easter. So what do I feed the poor chick? I have eggs, linseeds, quinoa and possibly something else. What is the best choice?
And when it comes to temperature after incubation, what is the ideal?
Should I also mist with some water to keep it humid?
I could have use for more tips, but these were my biggest concerns for now.
Thank you in advance:)
E0DC297C-5C78-40D3-B310-CCD71CAED7A5.jpeg

I dont have any experience with quails, but I'd say maybe give it some chopped up boiled eggs. Also make sure it's warm enough for the little guy. I don't know the exact temperatures tho. Don't mist the chick with water. I would suggest keeping it in the incubator until fully dry. If it is dry than keep it that way. I'm not sure if it's the case with quails, but I'm pretty sure that chicks can't regulate their own body temperature until about 2 weeks old. That's why its not good if they get wet, because then they also get cold.

I might not be 100% right so please correct me if I'm wrong.

I dont have any experience with quails, but I'd say maybe give it some chopped up boiled eggs. Also make sure it's warm enough for the little guy. I don't know the exact temperatures tho. Don't mist the chick with water. I would suggest keeping it in the incubator until fully dry. If it is dry than keep it that way. I'm not sure if it's the case with quails, but I'm pretty sure that chicks can't regulate their own body temperature until about 2 weeks old. That's why its not good if they get wet, because then they also get cold.

I might not be 100% right so please correct me if I'm wrong.
I just boiled an egg and crumbled the yolk into small pieces, kind of a struggle for him to aim for the food but he eats a small bit once in a while. Thank you Cloverr39!

Back
Top Bottom