What should I do?

hngchicks

In the Brooder
Mar 31, 2017
I just treated my whole flock for round worm with two doses of safeguard/fenbendazole separated by 10 days. Have seen no more worms or bloody stool since my first treatment until today when I found bloody intestine linings on the poop board. No worms seen. No diarrhea seen.
Should I retreat with the safe guard? Try a different wormer? Treat for other things like coccidiosis?
No birds seem sick and I have no idea which bird it came from.
Thanks

I would try and get a fecal test done by a local vet or get a mail in fecal test to see if there are still worm eggs. Have you done some cleaning up of droppings as best as you can to remove worms eggs in droppings?

There could be some residual irritation from the worms present and nothing to worry about. Here is an online fecal test which also tests for coccidiosis:
https://www.amazon.com/Reptiles-Rabbits-Turtles-Collect-Sample/dp/B000J5SOZ4

Thanks, I’ll send a sample in. I did completely clean the coop and sanitized with Oxine without the activator. The birds are free range so no way to clean outside the coop.

I agree with @Eggcessive on the fecal. You can also try giving some probiotics to see if it helps, if the gut was very irritated then the probiotics will help everything get back in balance. There are lots of poultry specific probiotics or you can use an all species one like Pro bios. Since there may already be some digestive upset I would use those rather than yogurt in this case since dairy may cause some irritation also.

You can give them buttermilk mixed in feed for a couple of days. It is easily absorbed and doesnt pass through their system like yogurt. It also strengthens their immune system. In one month dose them with the safeguard 5 days in a row in the mornings before feeding. Then wait 4 hours after worming and then feed them. Then give them buttermilk mixed in their feed for a couple of days. You can add chopped boiled eggs to the mixture if you wish. Your chickens will scoff it up. This should clear up shed intestinal lining while providing buttermilk as an easily absorbed probiotic.

Last edited:
You can give them buttermilk mixed in feed for a couple of days. It it easily absorbed and doesnt pass through their system like yogurt. It also strengthens their immune system. In one month dose them with the safeguard 5 days in a row in the mornings before feeding. Then wait 4 hours after worming and then feed them. Then give them buttermilk mixed in their feed for a couple of days. You can add chopped boiled eggs to the mixture if you wish. Your chickens will scoff it up. This should clear up shed intestinal lining while providing buttermilk as an easily absorbed probiotic.
Are you still individually dosing the safe guard for those five days? Is there any way to not individually dose it? I’ve got a lot of birds and it takes a few hours to get them all dosed by mouth.

Are you still individually dosing the safe guard for those five days? Is there any way to not individually dose it? I’ve got a lot of birds and it takes a few hours to get them all dosed by mouth.
It would be easier and better just to do them one at a time. Even if it takes a couple hours, the other way would be way worse, and it would stress them out, and you might get a few dead chickens by the time you're done with it. For your chickens- better safe than sorry.

I individually dose with all wormers except wazine. You can always use Valbazen; dose once, then repeat in 10 days. Still wait one month before using the Valbazen.
The reason I'm recommending redosing in one month is because shed intestinal lining can be caused by capillary worms. Using Safeguard against capillary worms requires 5 days in a row treatment, anything less than five days wont be effective enough. With Valbazen only two treatments are necessary and will clear them out.

If you use decide to use Valbazen, you'll be able to split your large flock to worm them. For example; worm different breeds of birds day one, then the second day worm another different breed of birds, the third day finish up with the last set of breeds.
Then ten days later, repeat this procedure.

If they are all the same breed, use different color leg bands. One color for the group you wormed the first day, a different color the second day and another different color the third day.
Then when you reworm ten days later; remove the leg bands from the first group you wormed, then remove the leg bands from birds you wormed the second, then again the third day.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom