What should I do

Isabella_animale

Songster
Sep 3, 2020
So I'm in a little bit of a tricky situation. I have a coop with 2 hens inside, 1 Polish and 1 Chochin. Well the chochin got broody but the only fertilized eggs I had were from my other coop which had a sebright hen and a rooster. I gave her 3 eggs, 1 hatched but sadly the same day, the polish dragged it out of the nest and killed it😔 Well the Chochin remained broody, so I just gave her 4 eggs because I'd really like to keep another sebright. I know I obviously can't keep the Polish in there so what can I do? If I put the Polish with my others she'll get attacked because the coop is small, that's why they're separate. I really don't want to rehome my Polish, I feel like my only other option is to take the eggs out when they're about to hatch and put them inside. But then I feel bad that my Chochin won't be able to be a mama since last time it wasn't her fault.

It would be really hard on your Cochin to put her through another broody cycle to hatch new eggs. She's been losing body condition this whole time and needs to be broken and allowed to regain her health.

Also, to be blunt, if you don't have room to separate the Polish safely then you don't have room to increase your flock by hatching chicks.

Best to break the broody, expand your facilities, and hatch eggs later under more favorable conditions.

It would be really hard on your Cochin to put her through another broody cycle to hatch new eggs. She's been losing body condition this whole time and needs to be broken and allowed to regain her health.

Also, to be blunt, if you don't have room to separate the Polish safely then you don't have room to increase your flock by hatching chicks.

Best to break the broody, expand your facilities, and hatch eggs later under more favorable conditions.

I trying to build a bigger coop, so I do have the room for more, the coop just won't be done by the time the chicks hatch. I've never has to break broodyness, how do I stop her?

I had to rehome my rooster since I'm not allowed roos in the area. These are my last set of fertilized eggs

I had to rehome my rooster since I'm not allowed roos in the area. These are my last set of fertilized eggs

I'm sorry, but she's already been sitting for over the three weeks for the first hatch. She could actually die trying to sit another 3 weeks for a second hatch.

This is my outdoor broody-breaker. Cordon is in it right now for the second time this spring/summer.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/outdoor-broody-breaker.76592/

You put the hen into the cage with airflow underneath so that she can't nest and it changes her hormones to snap her out of the broody state.

The first time it took Cordon 4 days. This time I got her in sooner so I hope to be able to let her out tonight, after only 3 days.

Back
Top Bottom