What should I do?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by NakedNeck, May 1, 2009.

1. NakedNeck

NakedNeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2009
    I have three choices. I need some help to pick which one to choose! [​IMG]
    I am wanting to buy some chicks and they wouldn't be used for shows. So...should I go with

1-Ordering from Ideal Hatchery?
    2-Look at local breeders and see if they have any available?
    3-Take a visit to TSC- When is the last day you can get chicks from TSC?

Thank you to whoever replies! [​IMG]

2. peckndirt

peckndirt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    North Carolina
    Local will be your cheapest and probably the most colorful.

3. NancyP

NancyP Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Bonifay,Florida
    I think local should be your first choice. I always prefer to be able to see what I am buying ,plus it's less stress on the chicks. Good luck with whatever you decide.

4. valentinebaby

valentinebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Sherman-Denison, TX
    If you order from a place like Ideal, you will probably get several packing peanuts if you don't have a full box. I hear Ideal is great, but I didn't want a bunch of extras and found a local gal on Craig's list close to Denton. It was great to see how well she kept her runs and see her healthy chickens not kept in a cage...

5. ChickenMama09

ChickenMama09 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2009
    We are new to chickens, we did some research and decided to go with Mcmurray Hatchery for our first order, because we could get the exact breeds we wanted without wondering what breed it was. If you don't necessarily mind what breeds you get then I'd say go to your local farm store like Tractor Supply or what not and pick them out of the assorted bins, its definitely cheaper that way and you don't have to pay the cost to ship either. Good luck.

6. 1birdlady

1birdlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    We called around to our local feed stores, asking if they would have Barred Rocks and pullets only.

Then we went and visited those and found our "pullets only" stock and bought 4.

They are now about 4 weeks old, feathering nicely and have had no "pasty butts"...they are just thriving and growing!

We have them on Wendlands "Only One" starter grower. Will switch to a higher protein when they're ready to lay.

We are "taming" them to be "pets, as well as layers...our grand daughters have named each of them:
    Mimi, Molly, Martha and Maggie, and we have used a non-toxic marker to color code them...it's too funny!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by