1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

WHAT SHOULD I DO

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by RedJungleFowl, Nov 12, 2012.

1. RedJungleFowl

RedJungleFowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2012
    Cailfornia
    My rooster was trying to mate with a hen but the he did't let him so what should i do let him or just leve it

2. Wishing4Wings

Wishing4Wings Isn't it Amazing?

May 7, 2012
    Sonoma County, CA
    It's generally best to let the chickens work it out for themselves. As long as there's no blood or serious injury, they should be ok. Squabbles happen. [​IMG]

3. buffy the eggslayer

buffy the eggslayer Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2010
    Yorkshire, UK
    Hens have the same desire to mate as cockerels but like all animals, the females know when the time is right to reproduce and the males are always ready to mate when ever the female is ready.

If your hen dosent want to mate its because its not the right time. She will tell him when it is. Young cockerels can be a little rough and ready and hens dont respond well to this "loutish" behaviour.

Once a young cockerel learns that the best way to win over a hen is to find food for her, protect her and court her then the hens respond positivly to his advances.

Hens want to breed with males who will take care of them and their young so your hen will want to breed eventually. Check her back and under her wings for cuts or damage. If your cock is rough he may have hurt her with his spurs or talons and she may need a treading saddle or time to recover.

Just give her space and time.[​IMG]

4. RedJungleFowl

RedJungleFowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2012
    Cailfornia
    he spur has't grow big yet its and both of my rooster are cockerle

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by