What should I do?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by animal boy, Nov 21, 2012.

1. animal boy

animal boy Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2012
    I had a broody hen but when I went out today she was off the nest and the nest smelled terrible. I removed all the eggs. She was a real faithful sitter. I got two fresh fertile eggs today. Should I put those under her or just let her be sad. Her eggs were due soon. If I do sett the eggs I'll hav a better idea of a hatch date because last time I forgot to mark them. What should I do? Please respond ASAP.

2. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    I would go ahead and put the fresh eggs under her.
    If she stays broody, she'll hatch them.

Good luck!

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I don't suppose you still have the eggs you removed from her nest? If you do candle them and see what's going on in there and put the O.K. ones back under her. Don't worry about them going cold. It takes quite awhile for the egg to get cold enough to cause harm.
    Do you have any idea where the smell was coming from? Was it an egg or the nest?
    If you tossed the eggs don't give her more eggs to hatch now. If she was nearly done with her eggs I'm guessing she'd been sitting for 2 weeks or more and she needs to recover now. Rather see if you can find her some small chicks to adopt.

4. animal boy

animal boy Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2012
    Thanks for the quick response. She doesn't seem to urgent to get on her nest. I see what he does when she goes back tonight. Thank you for the quick response.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by