What should I feed my show birds?

dracoe19

Songster
8 Years
May 31, 2011
Warrenton, Virgina
I will be entering 10 birds into the Ohio National this year and I want to make sure my birds look as good as possible :). My rooster is still growing in his neck feathers from a molt which I pray are in by then. Is their specific food I can give them all to beef them up and make their feathers super glossy? I have heard of people feeding their birds specific foods before hand but I just can't remember what I have heard over the months. Also anything special I should do before hand? wash their feet? bathe them? etc? I have bathed birds before hand but is there a shampoo you recommend that won't strip their oils? Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

Here's a picture of Mr.Oppenheimer. As you can see his feathers are a bit lacking. Though if you look close the new growth is there thankfully :).

Feeding and caring for show birds is a year round thing. I feed my birds a mixed feed mill feed, gamebird feed, and let them freerange when possible.
You can bath them in "tide" laundry detergent a week or two before the show.
To keep them looking their best, separate the males, females, and aggressive birds a couple months before a show.
Try to keep them out of dirt, mud, and rain after the bath.
If your birds do not like to be held, start handling them now. Sometimes judges will pass by a wild bird.
Be sure to get them T/P tested weeks before the show and send entry form a week or earlier than the entry deadline.

I am sure someone else will give more tips.

Thank you for the tip about the laundry detergent. Never heard of that before! Is there anything you feed them a few weeks before hand? They have a good diet right now but I think I remember someone suggesting giving them food with lots of natural oils in it to help feathers? Getting everyone tested in a few days and they will be handled a lot as well :). I'll be bringing them to my college to be drawn and making it a "hands on" thing so they will be handled quite a bit. Thanks again for the advice :).

Back
Top Bottom