What should I keep?

backwoods

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 26, 2008
South GA
I got thirty mixed pullet chicks from Murrary a few months ago. I still have about four each of blue andalusias, RIR, barred rock, and black star. I would like to hatch some chicks ONE day so I am thinking of keeping the barreds and the RIR and get a RIR rooster. Figure I could have RIRs and sex links. What is a black star BTW? Black sex link with a fancy name?

What would you do? No roo yet so I am open.

Scott

Love my Andalusians, great foragers, no interest in top or bottom of pecking order, but seem to be above it all . . . nice tinted eggs, too. these are all fine breeds, but I tend to like the heritage breeds more tan the hybrid laying machines . . . Plus I figure we'd all speak up for rocks and such.

Just looking out for the underdog. (Underchick?)

Lauralou on here has andalusians and dominiques both. They are absolutely gorgeous birds. I covet her beautiful andalusians!
smile.png

You might try PMing her for her thoughts on the matter. I don't have any of your breed options so I'm no help.

Quote:
That's so nice! Thank you! My husband says he's about to box Evil Smoke up and send her to you.
lol.png

But seriously, I really like my Andalusians. They are beautiful birds. They are also extremely active and mouthy, and very, very naughty. They can fly like nobody's business. Higher and farther than I would have ever imagined that a chicken could fly. They are great foragers. I'm getting 3 or 4 little pullet eggs most days from my 4 pullets. They fit my personality well, as they are crazy birds.

As far as breeding goes, I think the Blue/Black/Splash breeding is interesting. Lots of possible variations. Go with a blue rooster, get all 3 colors in the chicks... Or if splashes don't appeal to you, get a black rooster... etc. Mixed breed chickies? Who knows what would happen? Interesting.

Also, an Andalusian rooster might be smaller and do less damage to the hens' back feathers. Maybe...
smile.png

My Dominiques are much more docile, I often describe them as sweet and shy. But also great foragers. They blend right in, too, almost disappear in the woods. I have 2 adult hens and 5 pullets that I hatched from their eggs. The hens lay nice large eggs, about 6 per week each at their peak production, more like 4 to 5 now. Things are starting to slow down.

I had bad luck with my rooster, he was overly aggressive, but a great flock protector. I guess those two "qualities" go hand in hand. But every chick hatched from a barred rooster will have barring to some degree, so it kind of limits the look you will get from mixed breed chicks. Breeding mixed breed chicks is interesting, in my opinion.

Heck, I think breeding chickens is interesting, in general.

RIR roosters are so beautiful! Like you said, there is the added bonus of producing sex linked chicks. The only con that I can think of is that they are reputed to be aggressive. You could always seek out a very well bred rooster, from a line with good disposition, as well as that gorgeous dark mahogany color. Or maybe an aggressive rooster wouldn't drive you crazy, like it did me.

Still, I'd go for a really nice one, not just any ole RIR rooster. You'll have to deal with him, for better or worse, so you might as well get one so gorgeous he'll make your eyes pop out. Just my opinion, of course.

You can send poor sweet little Smoke to me any day.
big_smile.png

She and your other girls are beautiful! I still want you to cross a dominique and an andalusian so you can get a blue striped chicken. How very Dr. Seuss would that be?!

Well I did end up with a white crested Roo but was not planning on hatching eggs from him. He is a trip, but what would they end up like??

Back
Top Bottom