1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

What should I put on chick to hide bloody cut to avoid pecking?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sally4500, Jul 20, 2010.

1. sally4500

sally4500 Songster

Apr 14, 2010
    NH
    HI, my polish has a few feathers broken off her top hat that are bloody. I cleaned her up and put bagbalm on it. I remember reading about something you can put on a cut to mask the blood so it won't cause pecking. I think it was colored to hide the red.

Can anyone tell me what it is? Thanks.

2. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Songster

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    If its a dark colored bird, you can use blue kote. It does seem to make pecking worse on light colored birds, so be careful of that.

3. paddock36

paddock36 Songster 9 Years

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    I also use BlueKote, although one day when I wasn't home my DH found one of my chicks that was bleeding from being pecked by another chick and when I got home he told me he put medicine on the chick. I asked him what he put on it because I couldn't find the Blue Kote and as it turns out he put liquid vitamins on it, not realizing that it wasn't BlueKote. Believe it or not it worked.

4. Mervin

Mervin Songster

Jan 25, 2010
    Central Pennsyltucky
    I've used Blue-Kote on Barred Rocks with success. I don't have any "light" colored birds per se, but it did work on the Rocks. With a light-colored bird, I would probably used it. I would probably just apply it very liberally over a wide area. I would go well beyond the wound itself. The stained feathers will grow out eventually. My BR, two months later, still has a lot of purple feathers from it. I think if I hadn't been so stingy the first time, I may not have had to reapply it to a wider area.

5. sally4500

sally4500 Songster

Apr 14, 2010
    NH
    Yes, that is the name of what I was thinking of. Thanks. Her top hat is white, but I will give it a try if no one else chimes in.

6. Rozzie

Rozzie Songster

Jul 14, 2010
    I'd glop it up with a lot of Vaseline. They "really" don't like to get a beak full of that!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: