What should I put on the floor of my brooder ?

eho

Hatching
10 Years
Feb 18, 2009
I will be buying 4 chicks today at our local feed store. I was wondering what I should put on the floor of the cardboard box which they will be living in for a few weeks? In the past when I raised chicks, I had used pine shavings, but I think they ate it and it made them pasty. Any other suggestions? I know newspaper is too slippery and can give them splayed legs. Thanks Elizabeth

The chicks won't eat the potting soil? And if they do, it won't hurt them. Sorry, my computer would not take me to the link. I'll try it later.

I always put down pine shavings and cover them with paper towels for the first several days until they learn where their food is. The first day or two, I also sprinkle food on the paper towels as well. Have fun, you lucky!!!!
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
For the first 3 days, I use puppy training pads, and change them frequently. Then, I put them on pine shavings. Think dry, dry, dry! The cleaner and drier the brooder is, the less chance of illness. Enjoy your new fluff-butts!
big_smile.png

Pine shavings is definitely the standard and they don't hurt them or make them pasty. Mine have been living on it since day one and they are almost 4 weeks now. New babies often paste up simply due to the stresses of being born then moved around a bunch. It usually goes away in a few days and pine shavings definitely won't be a problem. I would say it's the most common bedding for new chicks and grown ups. None of that is to say that the other suggestions are bad. They all sound like they'd work fine too.

I put play sand on the floor of my brooder they peck it but it doesn't hurt them it is also a grit for when the eventually lay eggs
it also absorbs moisture and stops the poo getting stuck to their foot I put it on the top of a puppy training pad and every day I change the sand

Back
Top Bottom