What should i think about when getting Ringed teal ducks?

cassandrapettersson

Emu obsessed
Sep 8, 2022
Sweden

What should I think about when getting ringed teal ducks? Enclosure/Pen, enrichment, food. temprature?
Please tell me anything you know about them

(P.s I'm not buying ringed teal ducks anytime soon, but in the future yes. If I was getting them soon then I would've studied about them wayyyyy earlier 😅 just want to know about people's experiences)

Look at your area and your state regulations on if you can own this breed of duck and if you have the space/time/money/permits and regulations. Look at where you want to purchase your birds. Mallard Lane Farms is personally my favorite and cheaper than most places besides personal/small ( or hobby ) breeders. Think about if you want their wings pinioned, clipped, or fully winged. pinioned is where they surgically remove the flight feathers to make them permanently flightless. ( P.S, they may still be able to flutter in the air for only a couple of feet. Exotic ducks are much different than Mallards, Calls, and other common and domestic ducks. ) Where would you want them to be? On open water or in an enclosed aviary? They can't really be on open water during the day and in an aviary at night. Do you want them as breeders/pets or just trying to populate your area with teals? If you want them on open water, the best is to get them pinioned. However, pinioned birds are usually stressed more when they feel like they can't fly away, and being pinioned isn't comfortable for them. If you want to keep them in an aviary, think about how many you want or may want. The best is to go bigger. 1 pair can survive in a 10x10 enclosure but always do best in bigger and thrive in bigger areas. Keep them on the ground, don't put them in hutches. This kind of bird needs lots of fresh, clean water, an extremely predator-proof enclosure, warm areas ( they're not good in colder areas ), and much more. Nesting boxes can be raised or on the ground, but for a better chance of them breeding and being happy, getting something more like a wood duck box will suit them better. They need a clean area so adding predator-proof items underneath and river pebbles on top can be easily sprayed down and cleaned. They need lots of vegetation to hide in and eat. For a top, the best is to have a cage like a dog pen and have netting under the dog pen top so if they get scared, they don't choke themselves or kill themselves by hitting a hard surface but a net that bounces them back. They can eat regular duck feed from mazuri fowl feed for ducks, but they need more like extra bugs and maybe veggies. They tend to like to stay with their own kind and not any other duck breed, especially domestic ones. They stay in pairs so make sure to keep them in pairs and not breed siblings with each other. There's much more to learn, so make sure to do more research on your area and the duck itself.

Back
Top Bottom