What should I use for grit?

Can i use smooth rocks about an inch or two big or do i need a marble sized rocks?

For what? If you mean grit, that's much too large and the whole idea is to chew their food up so you don't want smooth pieces. Packaged grit is crushed granite scrap. When crushed, it fragments into hard, sharp-edged pieces that are ideal for grit.

Last edited:
Generally chickens will scratch and pick what they want. The grit we supply is to be sure there is plenty to choose from. Insoluble Granite Grit passes through their system just like that coin we swallowed when we were kids.

Then of course nature washes it off and they pick it up again.

This is why you see Morning Doves on the side of the road. They are picking up small stones that have been washed by the rain.

Pigeons, Doves , Parakeets etc. etc. need grit to grind their seeds and grains. Look in the bottom of the cage at the pet store and you'll see grit in their poop.

My chicken run is sand so I assume don't need to supply grit. The yards full. They will also be let free part of the day too.
So no supplied grit is my plan.
Ak rain

Sand is fine for chicks but it will pass right through a hen. As she grows, a chicken selects larger and larger pieces of grit so that the pieces fill her gizzard and stay there working to grind her food until they are worn or outgrown. At that point, they pass through. Think of a larger straw and a smaller straw with a pouch in between. A grasshopper and grit go in the bigger straw, reach the pouch where neither can pass through, and are churned around by muscular action. The ground up grasshopper now fits in the small straw but the grit remains for the next meal and the next and the next until it loses enough size to travel down the small straw with the food. The harder the grit, the longer it stays in the gizzard. Sand would pass through the small straw and might help a bit with the grasshopper but it would be much more effective for her to have appropriately sized grit.

Last edited:
By all means everyone has their own system and if it keeps your chickens happy and healthy who's to say you're wrong. I've read far to much and not all the "experts" agree. So I say if it works what's the big deal?

Anything I say is put out there, take it or leave. I just want us all to have a good experience with our chickens. Lord knows I've gotten some good advice and some really good ideas.
old.gif

Back
Top Bottom