what should i use in the coop to treat lice and mites

Diatomaceous Earth (DEarth for short) food grade from tractor supply, you can sprinkle it around where the lice is and it will kill them, if you have a sprayer, you can mix it with water and spray on the walls. It is also good to feed the chickens, it will take care of any parasites. Google it, there are lots of uses.

i bought some prozap poultry dust and some poultry protector spray. it says to sprinkle the dust around the floor nests and dust birds. also the spray is for birds and coop. all natural no chemicals.

just got done cleaning the whole coop took all the bedding out sprayed the walls floor and ceiling with the garden hose. then washed it all down with soap and water. cleaned and treated nestsboxes with poultry dust and treated floor also then added new shavings. next step is to treat the birds tonight when they roost with poultry protector spray.

Last edited:
i have never treated my chickens or coop. Are the lice and mites something that you see or how do you know if you have them? Are you supposed to treat the coop and chickens regardless? Any info on this would be appreciated, thanks

i have never treated my chickens or coop. Are the lice and mites something that you see or how do you know if you have them? Are you supposed to treat the coop and chickens regardless? Any info on this would be appreciated, thanks

half of my chickens stopped laying the middle of june. i thought they might start molting as they are that age . but they arent molting. i checked a few of my birds as a few look kinda scruffy. i saw little brown bugs crawling . so either mites or lice. going to treat and see if that gets them laying again.

i had mites in my coop so bad from pine shavings they stopped laying eggs. i took all the shavings out cleaned it out real good with an old suck leaf blower and then drenched it all in homedfense. not on the ground but on the walls soak it in between frames and boards i must of took a shower 5 times in 30 minutes and ended up just shaving my head bald pretty much ( im 16 so thats not a good sight to see!) but wait the whole day and lock the hens out. then put in cedar shavings bugs hate cedar. dont use straw where they sleep it doesnt absorb mositure and smells really bad. some say its bad to use bug killer its safe for houses and works really well very dry and clean and no bugs. sometimes i sleep with them and i dont get any ticks or bugs

half of my chickens stopped laying the middle of june. i thought they might start molting as they are that age . but they arent molting. i checked a few of my birds as a few look kinda scruffy. i saw little brown bugs crawling . so either mites or lice. going to treat and see if that gets them laying again.

thats what happened to me my nesting was infested i took allt he sawdust out and they still layed eggs on the solid wood then i put straw in they just stopped im gonna try to put cedar shavings in

Back
Top Bottom