WHAT SHOULD I USE?

Attachments

• 17028132341971272016217006759968.jpg
    17028132341971272016217006759968.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 8
What's more important than the choice of shampoo here is the underlying question of why there's so much poop on the wing of a chicken... A bit far from its butt, did it get pooped on by another chicken, and if yes - why? Are your roosts positioned one under the other? If yes, you need to rearrange them so one chicken isn't above another to poop on them. Chickens don't lie down on their side, and don't sleep on the ground, so it's not like this chicken laid down on some poop to get it on its wing... When they lie down on their side it's to sunbathe or dust bathe, but they usually dig themselves a little trench first or otherwise prepare the ground and pick a dry spot.

So, my advice is to first analyze the situation and figure out why there's poop on the chicken's wing to begin with, and figure out how to avoid it in the future.

Then, since you already have poop on the wing, I'd suggest just washing it off with warm water. It doesn't need shampoo. If it's dry and crusted over, you may need to soak it first to loosen it. Get a small bin/tub and fill it with warm water to where it's halfway up the chicken. Have the chicken stand in the water, with the dirty area submerged. Rub the dirty area periodically to check if the poop has loosened. Once it loosens, you should be able to rub it off with your hand, without using products. Pat the chicken dry with a towel. If you live in a cold climate and it's winter where you are, dry the chicken with a blow dryer set to warm (not hot) before taking it back outside. I have done this many times, because I have an excessively fluffy breed that keeps pooping their pants, and this method works really well. They all seem to enjoy their baths, even the blow dryer, or at least not mind them. Even my most skittish chicken was totally fine getting a bath and blow dry.

Back
Top Bottom